Home » Forum » coffee stout....what type of java to use Register | Login
Subject: coffee stout....what type of java to use
Author: CRoss
Mar 8th, 2007
2:49 am
Any recommendations on what type of bean or roast to use for a nice coffee stout....should I go with a darker roasted style o' bean? I've been roasting my own for the past 3 months - so everything is basically at my disposal. I'm a big fan lately with the Ethiopian bean but that's more mellow and tends to be roasted a tad lighter.....I guess to get the full effect with a coffee stout I should go with something in an expresso roast or darker? At least that's how I brewed a coffee stout before & is basically what I read. Thoughts?
Subject: Re: coffee stout....what type of java to use
Author: avoozl
Mar 8th, 2007
3:16 am
Johnny,
The last one i made i used sumatra (i think that's the standard) and some celebes kalossi. It came out really well, try cold brewing it for 12 hours and adding to secondary 16-24 oz depending on your taste. I added about 18oz and i thought it could have used a couple more. Don't forget to filter it before adding, it will save some headaches at bottling. The lighter roasts seem more acidic to me and well don't jive with my java taste.
Author: Bigbrews
Mar 8th, 2007
5:14 am
I recently brewed a Coffee Imperial Porter using Denny's BVIP recipe without the B&V. I made a blend of

50% Brazil Yellow Bourbon - For a heavy body and some chocolate bittersweetness
20% Ethiopian Harrar (Misty Valley) - Aromatics and tannins
10% Yemen Mattari - hint of licorice and bakers chocolate
10% Colombian Excelso - nuts and chocolate
10% Kenya - brightness

These were pre-roast blended and roasted to Full City. From that, I made two double espresso shots which were added into the carboy. I then dry beaned with 2oz of the blend for two days.

It is now carbonated and chilled, and I must say that it is an awesome Coffee Porter. We compared it to Kona Brewing's Coffee Porter and much preferred ours.

Author: Kaz
Mar 8th, 2007
6:43 am
Tom look forward to tasting it on Saturday.

Side note: How many of you use decaf for you coffee. I just recently did since I found myself avoiding my caffinated beer at night in fear of having a bad nights sleep.
Author: DConn
Mar 8th, 2007
4:49 pm
I was just gonna post about Tom's beer. I tasted it last weekend and I think it was the best coffee beer I've ever tried.
Author: sweetloaf
Mar 8th, 2007
5:20 pm
this reminds me, i've recently been thinking about a true breakfast stout -- with both oatmeal AND coffee. anyone tried this? suppose you could go all out and include brown sugar and lactose, too.
Author: natesampson
Mar 8th, 2007
7:11 pm
I made a stoot years ago with brown sugar, coffee, oatmeal, & vanilla.
It wasn't all that great right out of the gate, but after letting it sit for about 6 months it came around and was great.
Author: Mike_A
Mar 8th, 2007
7:40 pm
Mmm... breakfast in a bottle. I've made an Espresso Oatmeal Stout based off Denny's recipe that turned out great.
Author: Bigbrews
Mar 9th, 2007
5:04 am
Thanks Denny, that's a nice complement. BTW, I used Pacman yeast on this beer.

Author: DConn
Mar 9th, 2007
10:06 pm
You deserve it, Tom. It was a KILLER beer!
Author: krisbohm
Mar 12th, 2007
5:59 am
check out the coffee stout I posted on the recipe page I used oatmeal and .25# bold coffee and I would say it tastes more like a beer than a coffee.
Author: brewballs
Sep 1st, 2016
4:26 pm
Hey Margo. I went to the site you linked to and started reading it. I fell right asleep right.

Thanks

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.