Home » Forum » Draft coffee Register | Login
Subject: Draft coffee
Author: Longshot
Jul 12th, 2017
12:00 am
I recently completed building a 4-tap tower-style keezer. I'm considering using one of the taps for cold brewed coffee instead of beer (shock! horror!). Same draft setup as usual (i.e. 5-gallon corny keg connected to a CO2 tank and a faucet). I did a trial batch and found that the coffee became pretty unpleasant once it got carbonated. I've been trying to think of ways to eliminate (or at least reduce) the CO2 that dissolves into the coffee for the next attempt and figured I'd mine the collective creativity of the Tastybrew forum.

I figure that step one is cutting the liquid line from the keg to the faucet as short as possible and using the lowest CO2 pressure needed to push the coffee from keg to faucet. In addition, I'm trying to come with ways of reducing contact between the liquid and the CO2 to slow gas dissolution. I thought about adding some kind of metal or plastic floats into the keg (like 1/4"-1/2" diameter spheres or discs, for example), the idea being that they would create a sort of blanket over the top of the liquid.

Does this seem like it would work? Any other brilliant ideas?
Subject: Re: Draft coffee
Author: paulb
Jul 12th, 2017
9:25 am
I'd just pour fresh brewed coffee over ice and chug.
Author: redbrew
Jul 15th, 2017
3:23 pm
I love a good cup of mud as much as the next homebrewer but I don't know about kegging it and dispensing it. Coffee is pretty corrosive so I wouldn't want it anywhere near my beer lines. faucets or inside my kegs. I have a Mr. Coffee ice tea maker and it works really good for making ice coffee as well. I make a pot and in the kegerator it goes.

I am not posting this to rain on your parade. I can see what you are trying to do. Carbonated coffee doesn't sound very good to me either.
Author: DConn
Jul 15th, 2017
3:25 pm
Quite a few coffee shops are having coffee on tap these days. I usually se it doen with nitro so it won't dissolve into the coffee as much and make it fizzy.
Author: brewballs
Jul 15th, 2017
4:38 pm
I agree with you Red. Save those taps for beer.
Jul 16th, 2017
4:48 pm
I thought about the nitro pour too but if he doesn't have the setup then it can get a bit spendy just to have coffee on tap. Nitro coffee in the Pacific Northwest huh? Friggin figures
Jul 17th, 2017
4:06 pm
Actually, nitro coffee is all over the US. Whether or not it's a good idea is up to the OP to decide.
Author: Longshot
Jul 17th, 2017
9:38 pm
I'm a fan of nitro cold brew coffee, but lack the equipment for a nitrogen tap at home (and would probably use it for beer if I did have it). I used the liquid line from my first attempt at draft coffee for a Kolsch. I've noticed that beer that sits in the line for an extended period does develop a slight coffee flavor (even after cleaning the line). A pitcher in the fridge might be a better option for cold coffee. There are worse things.

Thanks for responding.
Sep 10th, 2017
6:39 pm
As far as Nitro coffee goes I wouldn't know Denny. I haven't been to a coffee shop in over 10 years. I absolutely abhor Starbucks, and I just don't have a craving for a triple shot lemur poop latte with organic skim almond milk for $15.
Author: leonaegonzales
Sep 14th, 2017
6:58 am
nice post and a very good idea also
Sep 18th, 2017
4:34 pm
I'm with ya, Red. Never seen or tried it becasue I don't frequent coffee shops. But I have read plenty about it and what a trendy thing it's become.
Oct 14th, 2017
10:19 pm
Manbuns are trendy too Denny and I am not going that route either.............
Oct 15th, 2017
3:43 pm
Oh, I SO agree with that!
Author: samairakhan917
Nov 15th, 2017
8:24 am
so energetic to find an extraordinary place to various here in the post, the creation is as of late mind-blowing, thankful for the post.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.