Home » Forum » Belgian Wit multi step mash vs. single step mash Register | Login
Subject: Belgian Wit multi step mash vs. single step mash
Author: smiller
Feb 15th, 2017
9:12 pm
Brewing a Belgian Wit this weekend...have a mini brew 15 gal mash tun with false bottom (all plastic)...not really an ideal setup for a step mash. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to step mash in the mini brew? Otherwise my only other option is to do a single infusion mash. How well does the single infusion mash work for Belgian Wits? Hoping someone still looks at this site once in a while...
Subject: Re: Belgian Wit multi step mash vs. single step mash
Author: paulb
Feb 16th, 2017
10:09 am
Looking at all the all-grain recipes here I see all single infusion mashes, but there's a lot of numbers outside the guideline parameters - the White Spring recipe is close, find one you like and use the calculator to get it right.
Author: DConn
Feb 16th, 2017
5:04 pm
If you want to step mash, just add boiling water til you hit your step temp. Frankly, I wouldn't bother.
Feb 17th, 2017
5:40 am
Thanks for the advice guys! Looks like single infusion is going to be the easier way to go.
Feb 22nd, 2017
6:10 pm
Follow up to my initial post...Brewed the Witbier last Saturday. Single infusion mash @ 154 deg x 1hr25 min until iodine conversion test was complete. Batch sparged to collect 7 gallons pre boil and ended up with 4 gal after 90 min. boil...was shooting for 5 gal...checked gravity of 4 gal and missed my OG by 10...Est. OG was 1.057 and measured at 1.047. Even with a 4 gal batch, this recipe should've put my gravity at est. 1.071. I've never missed my OG by this much doing a batch sparge, usually only off by 1 or 2 but never this far off. I used to fly sparge and always outperformed my efficiency but hated how long it took.
Here's the recipe:

0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.55 %
5.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 40.91 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

One thing I forgot to check was pH...oops I think the issue has to be in the mash/sparge process. What am I missing here?
Author: DConn
Feb 23rd, 2017
4:54 pm
The other possibility is that the wheat didn't get milled well enough. The kernels are smaller than so you may have to reset your mill.
Author: jtrainer
Feb 26th, 2017
6:24 pm
Crush till you're scared, then crush a little more.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.