Home » Forum » A new brew kettle Register | Login
Subject: A new brew kettle
Author: josche581
Dec 1st, 2016
2:32 am
I have been brewing for about 5 years now and have previously used a 7 gallon brew kettle with no welds in it. I recently purchased a new kettle with two welds, on for a ball valve and one for a thermometer. Upon receiving the new kettle, I set it on my burner which is a propane burner from a turkey fryer. The burner has a lip around the edge that is about 1-inch tall. The bottom weld is lower than the height of the burner lip, so the pot will not sit level on the burner. I am thinking that one solution, besides buying a new burner, would be to use 3 masonry bricks on top of the burner and under the kettle to raise the weld above the lip and level the kettle. Has anyone else had experience with a situation like this, or does anyone else have another suggestion?
Subject: Re: A new brew kettle
Author: paulb
Dec 2nd, 2016
10:12 am
I don't have another suggestion but raising your kettle that high might use a lot more gas-maybe you can find some kind of metal to raise it the bare minimum over the flame.
Author: Burp
Dec 9th, 2016
11:57 pm
OR maybe file a notch in the lip?
Author: josche581
Dec 10th, 2016
2:48 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I actually did cut a notch in the lip of my burner, and it seems to fit fine now.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.