Home » Forum » serious bubbles from racking off dryhops w hopbag over autosyphon Register | Login
Subject: serious bubbles from racking off dryhops w hopbag over autosyphon
Author: spargebag
Jul 16th, 2016
8:06 pm
I'm so fing angry right now I swear I'll never brew again. I made what was shaping up to be the perfect bw and followed some advice of tossing dryhops into primary then racking w a hop bag over the autosyphon. Not only did I get a hellacious amt of bubbles throughout the whole process no matter what I did I have also got a whole gallon of once great beer that won't even siphon off the hops and a gallon of headspace in the carboy I was gonna lager for 6 months. So much for that. I've used this method twice on lesser beers and it worked well. I had to restart the siphon multiple times and the bubbles were crazy. How oxidized do u think this will be? Should I add some sugar to restart fermentation and use up some o2. Anyone in central pa want to buy some equipment? I'm done.
Subject: Re: serious bubbles from racking off dryhops w hopbag over autosyphon
Author: Burp
Jul 16th, 2016
9:26 pm
Oh please don't quit. You and two others are the only ones that post on tastybrew.
Jul 16th, 2016
9:40 pm
I'm wondering if there's a chance the bubbles were co2. There were alot of em and it was a nightmare getting syphon restarted. It was in primary 4 weeks and auto syphon is new. Dh 1 week.I may not quit brewing but will never dh w loose dry hops again. I added a cup of sugar and will let it ferment a few weeks then rack into a 3 and a 1 gal n lager it. yeah there's little traffic here these days. Miss the days when there were dozens...
Author: Burp
Jul 16th, 2016
11:54 pm
Whenever I dry hop I just put the hops into a bag, toss the bag into the secondary (soda keg) then rack the beer onto the bag. Let it soak for a while then consume. Yea the hops do soak up some beer and I have considered squeezing the hop bag recover the precious liquid but was concerned about infections.
Jul 17th, 2016
4:33 pm
I've done that but got less utilization. The loose hops and hop bag over the autosyphon worked well for 2 batches but nor this 1. It acted like a clog but wasn't. It bubbled like hell then would not pull a siphon at all. I wasted 3 QTS. I wonder how much o2 was in the bubbles and if ascorbic acid would help. I've read mixed reviews...
Author: DConn
Jul 17th, 2016
5:41 pm
If you get less utilization (which I haven't noticed) just use more hops.
Jul 17th, 2016
6:34 pm
Seeing that the siphon was tight and bubbles came from the bottom and the beer is gassing off in 2ndary today how much o2 is likely dissolved in the beer? I did add a cup of sugar hoping the yeast would use some o2. This kills me cos I think I finally nailed the Thomas hardy recipe...to ruin it over something stupid.
Author: Longshot
Jul 21st, 2016
6:18 pm
I would expect the dissolved gas (if any) in a fully fermented beer in an as-yet undisturbed primary fermenter would be CO2. Seems to me that the bubbles were more likely CO2 than O2 given the circumstances you described. You'll know soon enough. Good luck!
Jul 22nd, 2016
4:04 pm
Thanks...planning to age 5yrs. Thought abt ascorbic acid but read mixed reviews.
Author: Longshot
Jul 22nd, 2016
4:22 pm
I'm curious- why dry hop a beer that's going to be aged for 5 years? Seems like any flavor/aroma from the dry hops would fade away in that time. Is it for preservation purposes? Historical precedent?
Jul 22nd, 2016
5:21 pm
U can taste the dryhops for 1st 2 yrs of sampling. Eldridge Pope dry hopped Thomas Hardy ale which is what I've been trying to replicate for years... this batch is closest. Young, the beer is hoppy and almost meaty. As it ages it gets notes of sherry, vanilla and tobacco.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.