Home » Forum » Mash tun manifold necessary? Register | Login
Subject: Mash tun manifold necessary?
Author: Filbrewer
Jun 25th, 2016
11:56 pm
Hi All,

I am building a new mash/lauter tun for a HERMS design, this one is big. A sheet of 4 x 8 rolled so that gives a diameter of 2.5'. The 2" outlet is below the false bottom (at the sidewall about 1" from the bottom) so there's no more need for a pick-up tube.

However, I am concerned that it might favor channelling and eventually reduce the efficiency.

Do you think I should attach a manifold that crosses the entire floor of the mash tun?

Thanks
Subject: Re: Mash tun manifold necessary?
Author: DConn
Jun 26th, 2016
8:02 pm
If you want to fly sparge, lauter design is very important and you need to make sure it picks up evenly and avoids channeling. If you batch sparge, that isn't an issue.
Author: Filbrewer
Jun 26th, 2016
9:44 pm
That says I need a manifold. The construction is still in progress and i can still redesign it.

If I make the bottom a 15degree slope and put the 2' drain in the centre, is that evenly picked up now? Yes, I will be fly sparging.
Author: DConn
Jun 27th, 2016
5:06 pm
Having only fly sparged twice before I move on, I don't know a lot about it. But I've never heard of a false bottom having a slope. If anything, I thought they were domed. But that's strictly a WAG.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.