Home » Forum » pedio? oxidation? replace racking equip b4 next batch? Register | Login
Subject: pedio? oxidation? replace racking equip b4 next batch?
Author: spargebag
Jun 17th, 2016
4:30 pm
What a pia...made a double bitter sg 1075 that was incredible at 1015 but the brakspear yeast kept going to 1010 and it was thin and astringent. As it is 50 ibus I decided to dry hop the bejesus out of it and call it an IPA. It was cloudy when racked to 2ndary 2 wks ago and remained cloudy. Hop bag was boiled. When I bottled yesterday I tasted diacetyl that was not there before. There is no sour yogurt flavor or slime but I wonder if I could have a pedio infection. Also worried that I used the same baster for multi gravity readings and may have infected other batches. Only 1 infection since 96 and that was from not separating brett equipment. No sign of that yet. I added fresh yeast at bottling and plan to warm it to see if the yeast cleans it up.

If infected should I bleach or replace racking equipment or should starsan be sufficient?

I swear if one could get good fresh Brit ales and could buy westy at a sane price I would not engage in this labor intensive nonsense.
Subject: Re: pedio? oxidation? replace racking equip b4 next batch?
Author: Burp
Jun 18th, 2016
12:35 pm
I replace my racking equipment (auto siphon tube) every few years. Also I change disinfectants, iodophor and starsan, from time to time. I am not addressing the state of your brew, just making a comment on equipment.
Jun 18th, 2016
3:38 pm
I replace racking equipment yearly...but not sanitizer...not sure how pernicious pedio is or if I have an infection or not but I plan to bottle a tripel, quad and fullers vintage clone this week and don't want to risk buggies. Guess I should be safe n get new racking stuff n put the old in the brett bag.
Jun 20th, 2016
4:23 pm
3 days in bottle and diacetyl is gone... no sourness...tastes similar to meantime IPA. Guess I'm safe to bottle w old racking stuff. Although I'm not Catholic I half jokingly prayed to st Brigid who supposedly turned her bathwater to beer and asked her to fix the beer. Perhaps it worked.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.