Home » Forum » wlp 099 in 2ndary to drop grav a few pts? Register | Login
Subject: wlp 099 in 2ndary to drop grav a few pts?
Author: spargebag
May 29th, 2016
12:04 am
Just made a quad. 1092 step mash all base malt 15% various sugars. Hoping for fg 1013 but the 3787 crapped out at 1020 after rousing n heat. Racked to 2ndary as I need ferm space. Making a tha clone 2maro w a 3 gal starter of WLP 099. Thinking of pouring a bit of the slurry into the quad. Is it likely to get me down 5or so pts or am I just risking oxidation?
Subject: Re: wlp 099 in 2ndary to drop grav a few pts?
Author: DConn
May 29th, 2016
3:54 pm
Yeah, that is a risk. Maybe not a big one, but still a risk. How long was it on the 3787? I've never had attenuation problems wiht that one. Remember, Stan H. said that the last 10% of fermentation of a Belgian style can take as long as the first 90%. Too late for this one now, but something to remember in the future.
May 29th, 2016
4:45 pm
I've never had attenuation probs either under 1100. Primary was 2.5 weeks and it stayed at 1020 for a week. Was bubbling every 2 min and clear. Had to rack to 2ndary for fermenter space. Is now clear but bubbling every 50 sec or so. Perhaps racking introduced enough o2 to wake a few cells. My last westy clone tested btwn st bernardus and the real thing. This tastes better straight from primary but a little too sweet so I hate to spoil it but I want to dry it out a bit. Would it be safer to top crop a little from the bw once ferm begins? Of course 099 is a lager yeast and the target grav for the bw is 1125 so I don't know what issues that may cause.
Author: DConn
May 29th, 2016
5:09 pm
More likely it's just CO2 coming out of solution, but might as well give it some time and see what happens.

I thought 099 was the San Diego yeast, but I don't use White often enough to remember. If you were gonna use yeast from that beer, I'd harvest it early before it has a chance to get hosed by the gravity.
May 29th, 2016
6:01 pm
099 is the super high grav which is Thomas Hardy's yeast. According to research its a Bavarian lager yeast. E Pope reportedly used Guinness yeast until about 74 then switched to a bav lager. The 099 is supposed to handle 24% and attenuate well.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.