Home » Forum » Strong wit? Register | Login
Subject: Strong wit?
Author: Blitz357
May 28th, 2016
7:11 pm
Just for the heck of it I am thinking about taking my standard wit recipe and making it into a imperial or strong wit. I don't have my recipe with me right now, but I think it is safe to say it is fairly standard. Half pale, Half flaked wheat, tad bit of flaked oat (don't do the math lol). For other add ins I use coriander and zest from oranges. The wyeast wit yeast claims a pretty high alcohol tolerance of like 12% abv, but I am thinking 7.5% to 8% for this brew. I think my standard wit IBUs are in the 15-20% range.

So this leads me to my questions. Should I increase the IBUs to match the intensity of the extra horse power? If so how much? And the second question is how about the spice/zest level? I would assume I would need to increase those as well to keep up with the alcohol. Actually was thinking about adding maybe pepper corns or Grains of Paradise instead of increasing the coriander. Never used either of these in a beer.

All comments are welcome. I am not trying to "invent" a new style here. I just want a wit with the bigness of a golden/trippel etc.

Thanks!
Subject: Re: Strong wit?
Author: spargebag
May 28th, 2016
11:57 pm
I'd maybe up the ibus a little. I'd check the stats for something like celis grand cru. I'd leave the spices as is. They won't be diminished and the extra gravity will likely get more spiciness from the yeast.
Author: Blitz357
May 31st, 2016
3:49 pm
They claim Celis grand cru is an equal to this. They claim it is between a trippel and a dark strong. However, I believe the IBUs should probably be close to it anyway. If I am running around 16 IBUs now, I wouldn't think I want to get over 25. Probably more like 22-25 would be good enough to meet the abv raise. What about adding pepper corns? What is this going to do to my wit?
Author: spargebag
May 31st, 2016
6:21 pm
A small amt could accentuate the spice of the yeast. Too much would be... well peppery. Not what I want in a wit. Orange peel coriander n perhaps a few Paradise seeds would be nice...

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.