Home » Forum » would you trust boiling to kill brett on airlocks? Register | Login
Subject: would you trust boiling to kill brett on airlocks?
Author: spargebag
May 21st, 2016
2:40 pm
Brewing today and short on airlocks. Lhbs is 20mi. Only airlocks I have were used for brett. If I boil em 15min that should kill the lil punkies right?
Subject: Re: would you trust boiling to kill brett on airlocks?
Author: DConn
May 21st, 2016
3:38 pm
I don't know why it wouldn't.
Author: Burp
May 21st, 2016
4:02 pm
Got a pressure cooker? If I'd toss em in the pressure cooker, higher pressure higher temp.
Soak the airlocks in bleach. Then boil em then soak em in bleach again.
Yea I am paranoid but I have had only 1 infected batch in the years I've been brewing.
Author: kbrad895
May 23rd, 2016
12:45 am
I use brett all the time. What I do with my equipment is clean it like I usually do then soak it overnight in a 50% vinegar solution, then sanitize like normal. Never had any problems. That being said if you want to be safe, airlocks are cheap so why go to a lot of extra trouble? If you plan on using brett again make and airlock or 2 dedicated to brett beers and keep them in a separate container, that's what I do for lacto bacteria. If not pitch it and buy a new one.
Author: spargebag
May 23rd, 2016
2:08 am
That's what I typically do but I was trying to avoid a trip to the hbs. A delayed brett infection in the best biere de garde I ever made makes me paranoid. I did boil the airlock and it ended up looking like a Salvador Dali sculpture. Broke a spigot and had to goto the hbs anyway...
Author: Burp
May 23rd, 2016
2:25 am
Surprised boiling distorted the plastic. I soak mine in iodophor.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.