Home » Forum » lagering temp variatons in westy clone Register | Login
Subject: lagering temp variatons in westy clone
Author: spargebag
Apr 29th, 2016
4:19 pm
Making some westy type beers and see that they lager 6 weeks at 50. Westmalle with the same yeast lagers abt 30 deg. Obviously the differences btwn these 2 temps will affect ester profile. My cellar fluctuates between 60 to 67 this time of the yr. Would anyone expect a difference between lagering at my cellar temp and setting my fridge at 50 to lager. I'm being lazy here.
Subject: Re: lagering temp variatons in westy clone
Author: DConn
Apr 30th, 2016
8:17 pm
Actually, by the time you get to cold conditioning temp doesn't really matter in terms of ester production. That's really only a concern for the first 72 hours or so. As to the temp you want to use, what are you trying to do? Using cellar temp will get you different results than using 30 or 50 F. What's the goal? Either can work depending on what you want to accomplish.
May 1st, 2016
7:37 pm
I'm trying to duplicate westy. I know lagering is supposed to tame some esters. My cellar is abt 15 warmer than westy ages their beers. I'm trying to avoid cleaning and moving the beer from the fridge that'd be my lagering tank. What I'm wondering is if aging at 65 would have a different effect on the flavor than aging at 50.
May 1st, 2016
8:43 pm
Yes, it would. The colder temp will drop out yeast and proteins faster, removing any of flavors they could have. And keep in mind that just because a commercial brewer does something doesn't necessarily mean it's appropriate for homebrewers. Their commercial focus and larger scale often changes things.
May 5th, 2016
12:51 pm
Interesting... I thought suspended yeasts helped to clean up off flavors.
May 5th, 2016
2:10 pm
To a point, yes. After that, it contributes to off flavors.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.