Home » Forum » Aquaponics and Hops Register | Login
Subject: Aquaponics and Hops
Author: DrakenBryn
Mar 14th, 2016
4:37 am
So for my Senior Project in high school I have decided to grow hops inside our greenhouse seeing as we live in the hills where snow and other harsh weather patterns are frequent. My question is should I just grow the hops in the dirt or make use of the aquaponics setup that I have been offered that is in a closed system with tilapia producing fresh feces to fertilize the plants my worry is that these conditions might not be ideal for the growth of hops as it is my first foray into this type of plant.(grown from a rhizome I mean.)
Subject: Re: Aquaponics and Hops
Author: DConn
Mar 14th, 2016
3:40 pm
Hard to say. I don't think I've ever heard of hops being grown hydroponically, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be. Keep in mind that they have a huge root structure. Would that be a drawback?
Author: pants
Mar 14th, 2016
9:59 pm
I've gotten hops to grow in both Virgina and Colorado just by planting seeds with a little chicken manure outside in the soil and then placing some lattice by them so they have something to support them self's. You may have to help them up to the lattice after they start growing. Both times I grew cascade but I would imagine growing any hop verity should be similar. I seen a couple breweries that have them grow outside on lattice a few up the side of metal buildings.
Author: hotair22
Mar 16th, 2016
5:58 pm
Hops is okay but you should really also grow some barley. Then, learn how to do malting. It is easy and you could do it in your mom's kitchen. Then, of course, you should buy some yeast and do the final step--BREW! Guaranteed you will win first place with all the students-- and then get thrown out of school. But just think how much you will have learned! And think of the resume you could submit when you try to get a job a a local brewery. "Got thrown out of HS for my science project" LOL
Author: porch
Mar 17th, 2016
12:11 am
I think aquaponics would be better for the barley than the hops.
Mar 18th, 2016
2:59 pm
pants, hops aren't usually grown from seed. Where did you get them and what kind qwere they?
Author: mjarvis
Mar 26th, 2016
3:27 am
What an interesting idea!!

Can you imagine 20-30 feet of hop bines making laps around your garage or living room?

--/\/\--
Apr 11th, 2016
9:15 pm
They were these root looking things (he called them seeds) I got from a local farmer I know. He told me just to dig a hole 3" - 6" and keep them 3" - 6" apart and gave me chicken manure to put on the soil. They were cascade.
Apr 12th, 2016
3:15 pm
OK, so you got rhizomes...good deal! I'd plant them farther apart than 3-6 inches, though. They really spread. I grew Cascades for 14 years before I got overwhelmed and tore them out. At the end, it wasn't uncommon to get 20-25 lb. of wet hops from a single plant, which meant about 4-5 lb. dried. It just got to be too much work for me to deal with all of that.
Apr 12th, 2016
10:48 pm
Yeah, I think I recall someone calling them that. They did turn in to giant wall of hops. That tends to be my style of growing things (I have mint everywhere). I had more hops then I knew what to do with as well.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.