Home » Forum » Help with bottling please Register | Login
Subject: Help with bottling please
Author: MountainBrew
Mar 14th, 2016
3:51 am
Hello all. My first homebrew has reached final gravity target, but I believe I have killed my yeast.
After re-sealing lid, I accidentally plugged my fermwrap heater into the cooling side of my inkbird-based
temp controller and the beer heated to over 86 degreesF overnight.

This is Monsterbrew extract kit Belgian Ale, using T-58 dry yeast.

My question is should I pitch a small amount of T-58 into the bottling pail with the priming sugar
to facilitate proper bottle conditioning. If so, how much for a 5 gal batch?

Thanks in advance. The beer smelled great, but I don't want to sacrifice the carbonation.
Subject: Re: Help with bottling please
Author: spargebag
Mar 14th, 2016
1:21 pm
Your yeast will be fine...many Belgians ramp up the temp even higher at the end of ferm to increase esters . I think you'd need to get the yeast around 140+ to kill it.
Author: DConn
Mar 14th, 2016
3:48 pm
The general ROT is that yeast will survive up to 114F.
Author: pants
Mar 14th, 2016
9:09 pm
T-58 seems to respond less to temperatures then most yeast. You were only 9 degrees over the fermentis recommendation of 77 degrees. For a short time no harm will be done. You probably increased the amount of yeast but increasing temperature.
Mar 14th, 2016
11:54 pm
Thanks a lot folks. Since I live in a sorta remote area, I've ordered all of my supplies online so far, but had to go to the city today so I stopped by the homebrew supply store and chatted with that guy for awhile. The beer will have been in the primary bucket for 2 weeks tomorrow night. He told me it wouldn't hurt to pitch another packet of T-58 and wait another 2 weeks for it to settle since the FG has been reached. Since this is my first batch, I'm not going to a secondary - straight to the bottling bucket with 5oz priming sugar. Does this sound right?
Mar 15th, 2016
12:03 am
Also, he told me to make sure that the bottling bucket contained a full 5gal even if I have to add water to prevent over-carbonation. Sounds logical to me. One oz of priming sugar per gallon. I really appreciate your help. Happy brewing!
Author: DConn
Mar 18th, 2016
3:00 pm
Rather than water down the beer, why not just decrease the priming sugar?

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.