Home » Forum » Too much head (not that kind of head) Register | Login
Subject: Too much head (not that kind of head)
Author: jbillingsle01
Feb 23rd, 2016
3:10 pm
So I took my first swing at creating my own recipe for a Brown Ale. It turned out great, love the nutty malty flavor, smooth body, and a nice hoppy backbone.

The big problem with this beer is that I can't pour myself a glass w/o at least 50% of the glass being head. I force carbonated it and currently have 2 other kegs hanging off the same tank, set at the same PSI, that are pouring normal. It's not the end of the world as I'm a pretty patient person, but it's annoying when guests are over that I either hand them a foamy beer or mess around with pouring the foam off into a different glass (but hey, it's free beer so they shouldn't complain in the first place)

I'm guessing I used too much of some sort of malt, but I'm not sure. Below is my recipe:

12 lbs US 2-Row
1/2 lbs Chocolate Malt
1/2 lbs C-60
1/2 lbs C-120
1/4 lbs Roasted BArley

1/2 oz Cascade (60 minutes)
1/2 oz Centennial (60 minutes)
1/2 oz Cascade (10 minutes)
1/2 oz Centennial (10 minutes)
1 oz Cascade (flame out)

US-05 yeast

Thanks!
Subject: Re: Too much head (not that kind of head)
Author: DConn
Feb 23rd, 2016
4:08 pm
I don't see anything in your recipe that would cause that. Is the dispensing line that's foaming the same length and diameter as the other lines?
Author: jbillingsle01
Feb 23rd, 2016
5:20 pm
This keg setup is not new. Probably at least 25 kegs have been ran through this system. This is my first issue like this.
Author: bazzybrew
Feb 24th, 2016
2:46 am
Did you force carb it at the same pressure/amount of time as the other 2 kegs? Was it carbed at the same approximate temp as the other kegs? The colder the beer the easier the CO2 is absorbed into solution, perhaps it was over carbed? You can chirp the keg every now & again for a day or two and it should calm down.
Author: MadBrewer
Feb 25th, 2016
8:58 pm
Did you do the crank and shake method or just set the psi and hook the keg up to gas? Possibly if overcarbonated if you did the shake method to get gas into the beer. You could vent all the pressure and make sure it's set at what you want it to be.

Other than that, is there possibly a kink in that line, is it a picnic tap or a faucet tap?

Check the beer out post, sometimes if the poppet is not depressed all the way you could have foam.

It's a weird problem since it's not a new keg setup and haven't had any issues before.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.