Home » Forum » Why does my beer have a yeasty taste Register | Login
Subject: Why does my beer have a yeasty taste
Author: wdbrewman
Jan 21st, 2016
1:49 am
Hey, I just finished my first batch of home-brew which was na APA and the final product while over carbonated it has a extremely yeasty smell and taste any idea as to why?
Subject: Re: Why does my beer have a yeasty taste
Author: porch
Jan 21st, 2016
7:11 am
What yeast did you use? How much did you pitch? What was the recipe?
Author: DConn
Jan 21st, 2016
5:05 pm
How long has it been since you brewed it?
Jan 21st, 2016
8:37 pm
the yeast was inna homebrew kit that I had purchased for my father for christmas and i'm not exactly sure on what kind of yeast it was and i brewed it on christmas day.
Jan 21st, 2016
8:43 pm
and the total amount came out to be a gallon and if I had to guess the amount of yeast i'd say it was probably around 6grams of yeast
Author: pants
Jan 22nd, 2016
3:23 am
If it was one of those box kits you can buy off the shelf at big box or cooking stores I'm not surprised. Their expiration date on completely unrefrigerated ingredients is 1 to 2 years. I've only seen a few unpacked but the yeast never has any identifiers on the package I could be active dry yeast for all anyone knows. Over carbonated and extremely yeasty almost sounds like champagne yeast. Is it sour or does it have more of a musty flavor?
Author: pants
Jan 22nd, 2016
3:25 am
That is to say wild yeast can sometimes be extremely carbonated and produce yeasty or off flavors. If equipment was not sanitized, sealed or yeast was no good, wild yeast may have fermented your wort.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.