Home » Forum » fermentation temp Register | Login
Subject: fermentation temp
Author: Russell
Dec 18th, 2015
10:13 pm
we recently got a new furnace, with the old one the temp downstairs was about 65-68 F. With the new furnace the temp is a steady 62 F. I recently did a Belgian Blond, it sat at 62 for the whole fermentation period of 3 weeks. the OG was 1.052 and the FG was 1.012 which was the same for 3 days so I figured the fermentation was finished.
I think it fermented at too low a temperature and the beer didn't have any head and the taste was kind of Apple cider (acetylaldehyde) which means the yeast didn't good.
1. do you think this was because of the low fermenting temperature?
2. do you think it will be better with time?

I have taken steps to take care of this problem by ordering a STC-1000 for control and a carboy heater. I hope to get some kind of cooling for the summer times later.
Subject: Re: fermentation temp
Author: DConn
Dec 19th, 2015
4:25 pm
1. nope
2. maybe so...you'll just have to wit and see

What was the recipe and what yeast did you use? I do most of my Belgian beers at 63F, so my experience is that the temp isn't an issue.
Dec 20th, 2015
6:50 am
it was a kit from my local HBS, which I never do anymore now that I do all grain. I got lazy and tried this extract with specialty grins to save time.
8 oz. Belgian munish
4 oz. caravienna
8 oz. carapils
7 lb Light LME
1 oz. Saaz (60)
.5 oz. fuggle (30)
.5 oz. fuggle (10)
1 lb. clear candy sugar(10)
safbrew T-58 yeast (only gave me one packet, maybe should have gotten more.)
Dec 20th, 2015
4:59 pm
I'd bet it was a combo of old LME and T-58. Just a guess, though.
Dec 20th, 2015
7:43 pm
the LME should be fresh, the LHB store is the largest in Colorado and goes though that stuff fast, but you never know.
I have never used the T-58 before so not Shure what to expect.
I have a feeling I got some kind of bug somewhere along the way, it just isn't turning out very good. it is in the keg in the kegerator / fridge right now has no head to it and a disappointing taste. I will keep it around for a while to see if it gets better.
Mixed it with a trappist ale in the other keg, not bad, maybe mix it if it comes down to it. Hate to toss it.
Jan 3rd, 2016
8:27 pm
tasted it to day, the beer is getting better. had a nice head on it, and tasted pretty good
Jan 14th, 2016
1:01 am
could it help if I add some yeast to the keg and leave it out for a few days?
Jan 14th, 2016
3:58 pm
You could, but it depends on what the problem is. If the yeast crapped out, that will help. If the wort is highly unfermentable, it won't.
Author: pants
Jan 22nd, 2016
3:09 am
I use T-58 all the time it's a great strain but I've noticed it likes really acidic wort. I normally use it with citric acid (either commercially available or in citrus juice for added sugar and flavor). It also seems to work best around 68 - 76 degrees Fahrenheit . I did notice that for some reason it does not act the same in Colorado as it does in Virgina. Maybe the water? I didn't check the pH but it tastes slightly basic (at least along the front range). If it's not right you may want to consider adding some orange juice the added sugar / citric acid should help the T-58 with it's fermentation.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.