Home » Forum » lager fermentation temp Register | Login
Subject: lager fermentation temp
Author: Russell
Dec 3rd, 2015
4:43 am
did I mess up a lot? My first lager beer.
I used wyeast 2001 Urquell lager yeast. it says to pitch at between 65 and 75 F. on the package.
I cooled my wort to 68 F. and pitched the yeast, It was at 68 for about 3 hours, then I put the wort into a fermenter box at 49F.
It started showing signs of fermentation at about 24 hours and now (about 30 hours) it is looking nice with a layer of white foam.
It looks good but I am wondering if the starting Temperature was to high and would cause off flavors and mess the lager beer up?
Subject: Re: lager fermentation temp
Author: DConn
Dec 3rd, 2015
4:00 pm
My own experience is that I want any beer, ale or lager, to be a bit below my intended fermentation temp when I pitch. The first 72 hours are when a majority of fusels and esters are formed, so that's the period when it's especially important. My procedure would have been to cool the lager to about 50-53F before pitching. Sure, you get a faster start at higher temps, but it seems to be at the expense of flavor.
Dec 3rd, 2015
5:38 pm
then will I only lose flavor or will I get off flavors?
Author: Longshot
Dec 3rd, 2015
7:32 pm
This may be of interest:
http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/22/fermentation-temperature-pt-3-lager-yeast-exbeeriment-results/#more-4290
Dec 3rd, 2015
7:38 pm
Yeah, I use that fast lager schedule with great results. Recently made a rye pils that went from brewing to kegging in 12 days. But you still start fermentation at low temps.
Author: Longshot
Dec 3rd, 2015
8:31 pm
In this instance, he pitched at 66F for the "warm" half of the batch.

How did that rye pilsner turn out? I've been thinking about adding a lager to the queue (and I want to try the fast lager method).
Dec 4th, 2015
4:44 pm
I really like the rye oils. My standard hopy German pils recipe but with about 18% of the pils malt subbed with rye.
Dec 12th, 2015
10:57 pm
in reading about lager fementation I found some people start at around 50 F. I had it about 66 for around 3 hours when I figured things out I turned it down to 46 and racked it up slowly to 55. It seems like it fermented fine. It finished recently and I have it on at 68 F for a diacytl rest. Today I will rake it into a secondary for the lager stage for 3-4 weeks. we will see how it tastes when I put it into the secondary and then after a few weeks and once again after bottling.
Lonshot I enjoyed the site that you posted it was informative.
I have learned a lot about lagers now, but never enough. I hope to try it again in the near future maybe with a better undstanding of laagering.
thanks everyone for the posts.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.