Home » Forum » Pear Honey Register | Login
Subject: Pear Honey
Author: Buschleague
Oct 28th, 2015
10:25 am
For years I have made Pear Honey (to use over ripe pears) and this last weekend I used the "waste" product to make a Pear Honey Wheat Beer.

Pear Honey Recipe
2 cups diced pears, peeled cored and chopped (the riper the better, pears pick up off the ground work great- they aren't pretty but very use-able)
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice

Bring mixture to a boil and simmer on medium low heat until you get the consistency of honey. Strain through a china cap or similar. The end results is a product extremely close to honey. The by product I have used in turnovers,on toast and now in beer ( depending on how ripe your pears are this size batch makes about 3/4 to 1 pound of by product, and fills my 12oz honey bear with faux honey). If you wish you can multiply recipe as the original recipe was 8 cups, 8 cups and 1 cup.
Obviously you do not get the health benefit of honey but if have access to fresh pears especially over ripe pears (produce most stores and people would throw out). This is a cheaper usable product to sub for real honey.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.