Home » Forum » Stale Grain Register | Login
Subject: Stale Grain
Author: jbillingsle01
Oct 19th, 2015
7:02 pm
Hey All. I was all prepared to have a brew day 4 weeks ago. I went to my homebrew shop and bought all my supplies and crushed my grain while I was there. My brew day didn't end up working out because of a family emergency, and I haven't had the time since to brew this batch.

I finally have time on Friday, but I'm wondering if I can go ahead and use the grain that I crushed 4 weeks ago, or if it's stale at all. It's been sitting in my basement at about 65 degrees in a brown paper grocery bag. So plenty of exposure to oxygen.

Thanks all!
Subject: Re: Stale Grain
Author: Burp
Oct 19th, 2015
8:10 pm
Brew it. I brewed a batch using grain 4 years old but crushed on brew day, and it turned out very drinkable.
Author: mroakley
Oct 19th, 2015
9:03 pm
I agree.

Brew it.

Worse comes to worse, and if not an overly hoppy beer you're brewing, you can always easily make some malt vinegar. Or feed the garden. Or both.

But as mentioned, you're probably okay for a drinkable beer.
Author: DConn
Oct 19th, 2015
9:11 pm
Absolutely. I just did that with the grain for a rye pils. I've had crushed grain sit for 2 1/2 months due to circumstances and it was fine. FTR, it was stored in a paper bag. The paper bag was inside a plastic bag and it was stored in coolish closet. Breweries often buy precrushed grain that sits for months before using.
Author: jbillingsle01
Oct 20th, 2015
2:17 pm
Great. Thanks for the feedback guys!
Author: Beermagic
May 29th, 2016
10:18 pm
Tomorrow I gonna brew all grain kit which was sitting in the basement for 2 years. I grinded grains today and it smelled very well.
My yeasts dated Dec. 2014 started nicely in the flask. It's Fuggles IPA from Midwest. Few weeks is nothing. That's why I buy un milled kit.
Author: Burp
May 30th, 2016
1:04 pm
Well Beermagic I was going to suggest you proof the yeast but I read that you did that. I have two packs of US-05 dated 2011 that I found in the beer frig. I, too will proof before brewing.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.