Home » Forum » Cheap temperature logger Register | Login
Subject: Cheap temperature logger
Author: Longshot
Oct 7th, 2015
4:46 am
I recently picked up an Elitech RC-4 temperature logger (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZHR7Z2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It's a simple, compact unit with a digital display, USB interface, and a stainless steel temperature probe. It comes with software that allows you to program the logging interval, Celsius/Fahrenheit, etc., as well as download the data, view graphs, and export to Excel or Word.

My intention is to use it inside a thermowell to log beer temperature during fermentation. I've always been curious to see exactly how much warmer the beer gets than the surrounding ambient air during the fermentation process. This will also allow me to see how much the temperature of the beer fluctuates due to the compressor inside my fermentation fridge starting and stopping. It doesn't actually control the temperature in any way; it just provides data that I'm hoping to use to fine-tune the settings on my fermentation thermostat.

I finally took the thing out of the box and tested it. It seems to work well, and aside from some funky English translation in the unit instructions and accompanying software, it's pretty easy to figure out. I have yet to use it on a batch (this weekend, hopefully), but for $25, it seemed worthwhile to pick up. Just wanted to share in case anyone else might be interested.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.