Home » Forum » Holiday recipie Register | Login
Subject: Holiday recipie
Author: Russell
Oct 1st, 2015
5:37 pm
looking though some old notes I found this....tell me what you think of it
I am not sure about all the caramel/crystal malts.
5 gallon OG=1.055 IBU=22 Color=15.7 ABV=5.8 would it be more ABV when I add the johnny walker red?

10 Lb. 2-row
2 lb. caramel/crystal malt 40L
1 lb. caramel /crystal malt 60L
2 oz. caramel/crystal malt 120L
2 oz. Chocolate malt

1 oz. Hallertauer at 60
.5 oz. Nugget at 15 min

.25 oz. cinnamon stick (secondary 8 weeks)
.13 oz. nutmeg-ground fresh (secondary 8 weeks)
4 oz. oak chips (secondary 8 weeks)
8 oz. Johnny walker red label (secondary 8 weeks)
Subject: Re: Holiday recipie
Oct 1st, 2015
5:40 pm
oh and the yeast is Denny's favorite Wyeast 1450
Author: DConn
Oct 1st, 2015
5:46 pm
That is a lot of crystal. Did you brew it before? With all the flavorings, the crystal might work, although I might cut the 40L back to only a lb.
Oct 1st, 2015
5:47 pm
haven't brewed it yet, kind of sounded interesting and thinking of brewing it next week
Oct 1st, 2015
8:15 pm
That amount of Johnny Walker will add very little to the ABV...maybe 1/2% tops (off the top of my head...I didn't actually run numbers).

No way will you get anywhere near that ABV...if you got 100% attenuation, which you won't, it would come out to 5.7%. I don't know where that recipe came from, but I think I'd pass on it.
Oct 2nd, 2015
4:49 am
the original was done on BeerSmith. I did and check with the tastybrew recipe calculator and it shows the ABV at 7 (not counting the Johnny Walker) and the IBU at 20. OG at 1.072 and FG at 1.018. I did it as a specialty beer with a brew house efficiency at 75, I didn't check to see what category was best for it.
Oct 2nd, 2015
4:51 am
I am not real concerned about the ABV just the taste.
Oct 2nd, 2015
9:46 pm
Your original post said the OG was 1.055. If it's 1.072, no problem.
Oct 2nd, 2015
10:23 pm
not sure why there is a difference between Beersmith and Tastybrew calculator probably they way I put things in such as the category. My pot , mash tun etc. are all in the Beersmith software but the tastybrew one didn't ask the size of the pots.
I am still debating if I am going to brew this, will decide by Monday that is when I will get the ingredience for the brew all exept for the yeast which I may get on Saturday so I have time for the yeast starter.
Everyone's opinion on this will be a big help.
Oct 14th, 2015
5:23 am
just asking...this recipe calls for 8 weeks in the secondary. Has anyone ever heard of that?
Oct 14th, 2015
3:31 pm
If it was extremely high gravity I could see that, but it isn't. Use your own judgment.
Oct 15th, 2015
4:43 am
thanks for the feedback. I think I will give it 2 or 3 weeks in the secondary and bottle it, then keep it in the fridge for the Christmas time.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.