Home » Forum » Peanut Butter Beers - Yay or Nay? Register | Login
Subject: Peanut Butter Beers - Yay or Nay?
Author: mroakley
Sep 29th, 2015
6:56 pm
So it seems like there's a new thing out there. Peanut butter beer. Well, new to me at any rate. (I don't get out much. )

I had my first peanut butter beer (porter) at a recent festival and it tasted like, well, peanut butter. It was okay. I can handle an ounce. But a pint? No. What would I do with 5 gallons or more?

Such a novelty thing and fun to try once...but after that?

What do people think about peanut butter beers?
Subject: Re: Peanut Butter Beers - Yay or Nay?
Author: DConn
Sep 29th, 2015
8:04 pm
I really prefer beer flavored beer.
Author: Longshot
Sep 29th, 2015
8:17 pm
I've only had one (Belching Beaver's peanut butter stout). I liked it. The peanut butter flavor was pretty subdued and balanced with the base beer.
Sep 29th, 2015
8:27 pm
Would you brew one?
Sep 29th, 2015
8:59 pm
Maybe, but not any time soon. I have yet to brew a basic stout that I'm really proud of- once I do, I think I'd tinker with other favors (coffee, chocolate, oak, etc) before peanut butter.
Author: porch
Sep 30th, 2015
12:32 am
What if you get chocolate stout in your peanut butter porter? Yuck!
Author: kbrad895
Sep 30th, 2015
12:34 am
I haven't tried a peanut flavored beer yet, but I imagine they will fall into the same category as pumpkin spice, chocolate and vanilla flavored beer - I like them occasionally and in small amounts, so when I want one I buy one but I don't want 5 gal.
Author: Heath
Sep 30th, 2015
1:27 am
Not usually a fan of flavored beers these days, but the thought of a peanut butter and banana wheat beer has me thinking. Is there such a thing? If not step away from the intellectual property.

Heath
Sep 30th, 2015
4:51 pm
I'm stealing it. :p But not really. You brew it and send me some.

*edit* Assuming you use peanut butter powder, I imagine this overpowers the banana you get from the yeast...so would you "dry banana" in secondary? Hmmm...what would that do to a beer? Turn it slimy and nasty?
Author: spargebag
Sep 30th, 2015
9:44 pm
Wy1214 at 85 deg would take care of the banana profile. Pnuts would likely kill head retention w oil. Is there a pnut extract available?
Sep 30th, 2015
10:17 pm
I've never used peanut butter powder, but that seems to be what people are using for these beers. Use of the powder seems to avoid the head retention issues you refer to. Couldn't tell you offhand why though.

I'm guessing you'd have to go real light with the powder in order for the banana to come through using just yeast. Plus balancing out with the base beer as Longshot mentioned.

It's almost worth doing something like this (once) just so I can say, "Yeah, I dry banana-ed it."

Heh.

Sep 30th, 2015
11:55 pm
Hypothetically speaking, I think I would add crushed banana chips (i.e. dehydrated banana) to the mash to boost the banana flavor, rather than adding it post-fermentation. "Hypothetically" because I don't think I would ever put banana in beer
Oct 1st, 2015
12:18 am
Yeah, but then again, people put pumpkin in beers.

Fun idea using banana chips!

Drat. Now I kinda want to make one...
Oct 1st, 2015
3:50 pm
spargebag, there's a dry peanut butter powder called PB2. http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/ingredients-pb2
Author: brewballs
Oct 1st, 2015
5:13 pm
Nay. I prefer hops.
Oct 1st, 2015
5:46 pm
+1
Author: Heath
Oct 1st, 2015
8:56 pm
Yea, striking that balance between PB and banana would be a trick. Whether not I brew it remains to be seen. Why dont you brew it Dan and send me some. Or better yet Im due for a trip to Sonoma, keep it cold for me. Would we wash it down with milk? Lol

Btw dry banana it? Beer about came put my nose.

Heath

Oct 1st, 2015
9:23 pm
"Would we wash it down with milk?"

I think the technical term is "milk chaser." And yes. Yes we would.
Author: niquejim
Oct 19th, 2015
11:09 pm
I have a chocolate peanut butter stout that I'm drinking right now, neither flavor over powering...really good.

Waiting on a guacamole pale ale to carb
Oct 19th, 2015
11:17 pm
A guacamolale? Interesting. I wonder how the fat content of the guacamole affects the beer. Did you simply use avocados or actual guacamole? Done this before?
Oct 19th, 2015
11:38 pm
I had 2 extra gallons of pale ale from a batch that the rain started 50 minutes into my 90 minute boil. Added (in a knee high stocking) 1 avocado, 1 green onion, 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, lime juice and a big handful of cilantro
Author: spargebag
Oct 21st, 2015
10:00 pm
I dunno...I like to pair beer w food but putting food in beer usually tastes weird to me. Fruits herbs and spices in moderation (except spruce...gag) can be good but cake, meat and condiment beers continue to elude me. That said, I got some pecan beer in Mississippi that was OK.
Oct 22nd, 2015
4:07 pm
Pecan beer? I could see that being good.

Years ago I experimented with a sunflower seed brown ale. If I recall correctly, I made three batches with an increasing amount of sunflower seeds used for each batch. The last brew had so much oil in it that there was no head in the final beer. The middle brew was the best. My wife wants me to make it again. She shouldn't get her hopes up.

Cake beer? I'd try it. Meat beer? Sounds gross.
Oct 26th, 2015
12:13 am
Took some beers to the local brewery today. Everyone liked the ESB(it is better right from the tap). Everyone really liked the Choc PB stout. They loved the Guac.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.