Home » Forum » Vacuum sealer for hops storage Register | Login
Subject: Vacuum sealer for hops storage
Author: Longshot
Nov 12th, 2012
11:23 pm
Does anyone use a vacuum sealer to store hops? If so, which one do you use? I made a large order of hops a couple years ago and have stored them in the freezer in regular ziplocs, but I'm worried that they're getting a little stale.
Subject: Re: Vacuum sealer for hops storage
Author: Liquidplacebo
Nov 13th, 2012
12:06 am
I use this one and it is easy to use and works well.http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=8322

Its out of stock though. My guess is because it is an older model, I got it last xmas. As for how much shelf life it adds I cant say because I just started using it a couple of months ago but so far Im happy.
Nov 13th, 2012
12:19 am
Thanks for the reply, but yikes, 120 bucks? That's pricey.
Author: nightbrewer
Nov 13th, 2012
12:32 am
Check your local Costco. I bought one similar to the one mentioned above. I think I paid closer to $40.
Author: bazzybrew
Nov 13th, 2012
12:42 am
I got this one at Target if you want something cheap, works well, you just buy the size bags you want and seal them up.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=8755
Author: MtnHiBrewing
Nov 13th, 2012
1:06 am
I use a foodsaver vacuum sealer for hops, resealing corn sugar or extract bags, sealing mason jars(great for whole hops or other items you don't want to crush), and for all types of foods(especially venison). It's a great thing to have around, not just for saving brewing ingredients. They aren't that expensive, and if you look around you can find them on e-bay, amazon, or even at wal-mart sometimes.
Author: mtyquinn
Nov 13th, 2012
2:10 pm
I use a foodsaver and love it. However I would not have loved it as much if I had to pay full price. They are pricey. That being said, the product is rock solid. Keeps my hops super fresh and I've found tons of other uses for it.
Author: Liquidplacebo
Nov 13th, 2012
3:45 pm
I got it for Christmas from the inlaws or I probably would have gotten a cheaper one.
Author: radtek
Nov 13th, 2012
4:45 pm
I would avoid Seal-a-meal like the plague. I chose economy and bought one for my first sealer. Broke promptly when the limited warranty ran out.

So, I purchased a Foodsaver and have used it for years. The latches have broken on both sides but I just have to press it down and the sealer and vac still works. I could probably get replacement parts but can't be bothered.

If one can afford it I suggest going with a higher end model/brand which will give you more hassle-free years of service.

It's just not for hops I use my sealer a lot.
Author: Techy
Nov 13th, 2012
6:30 pm
I'd be willing to bet that if you took an equal quantity of the same hops, vacuumed one half and used a standard Ziploc bag with most of the air pushed out of the other half, you couldn't tell the difference in a few months. Even better, purge the Ziploc bag with an inert gas or maybe even CO2. I'm not certain about a CO2 environment, so I'll make that a maybe.
Author: DConn
Nov 13th, 2012
6:42 pm
I used Ziploc bags purged of air for years before I got a vacuum sealer. There is no doubt in my mind that the vacuum sealer does a much better job.
Author: dnfd737
Nov 14th, 2012
6:34 pm
As most if not all of you know I own a small internet based hops sales company. We use the $100 food saver (available at wal mart k mart lowes home depot target ect) We use the "big" vacuum seal rolls and cut to size. We find it to be the most economic and convienent. Lots of other folks(reas ad hops companies) insist that uv proof mylay nitrogen purged vacuum seal bagd are the only way to go. Our arguement is this, where as all that is nice, when you think of it. However, if it is vacuum sealed where is the nitrogen now? we say it got deleted with the rest of the loose volume of air. UV proof mylar.....it costs a lot more and how ofted do you leave your hops out and open to sun light? We say if it is in shipping its in a box so no UV there.....and if it is at your home its in the fridg or freezer.....no uv there either. The only constant we see is vacuum sealed, why pay for nitrogen that gets sucked out of the bag any way or uv protection that is not needed......But wait what about 02 permiation? if it is vaccum sealed and remains that way the only 02 permiation that is present is so minimal you will never know it unless you have expensive lab equipment. The only thing left is AA degridation......bullion hops being about the worst on the index with a score of 50 even after a year in storage in a deep freezer at -30*F only looses .25% so if it started at 7% fresh after a year it would be 6.75% would you really beable to tell .25% diffrence in 2 brews placed infront of you that would be 1-3 IBU different? We would bet not.

In short, get the food saver, use it for hops and groceries, ours in almost 3 years old and with routine cleaning will last you as long as ours.
Nov 14th, 2012
8:23 pm
Good info, thanks guys. Time to start lurking around Craigslist/eBay/amazon
Author: mroakley
Nov 14th, 2012
11:24 pm
I love the food saver. Particularly when it comes to freezing bbq. That being said, if you're looking for tremendous aroma out of your hops, don't use any that have been sealed by this method. In my experience, even after a week or two, the aroma using these hops is no where near something out of a nitrogen flushed bag.
Author: Jonathan
Nov 17th, 2012
6:26 pm
I've been using a Seal-A-Meal from Walmart for food and brewing uses for 5 years now and haven't had any issues with it. For $50 its well worth it IMO.
Author: Snorlax
Nov 21st, 2016
6:10 am
The main one I have got will be the Maxkon vacuum sealer http://www.crazysales.com.au/vacuum-sealer/
. It had become about $89 from Crazysales. It's electric and takes about 20 seconds to seal it. It can have to have a quick modification, you need to simply remove one piece with just a few screws, then you can certainly attach it to the jar sealers. I believe you can buy the jar sealer kit for around $25, it comes with both wide-mouth and small-mouth pieces along with the hose plug attachement.
Author: Chuggernaut
Jan 7th, 2017
3:14 am
I just picked up a foodsaver on black friday for around $40. I sold my wife on it by going on about how we could keep fresh veggies etc. That thing will will never see a veggie. It's all grain and hops.
Jan 10th, 2017
4:49 pm
I use mine for food about 4x as much as I use it for hops.
Jan 12th, 2017
1:13 am
I've been using the vacuum sealer for a few years now (4, actually) to preserve hops. I initially vacuum sealed them in the vacuum sealer bags, then switched to vacuum sealed 8oz mason jars for some of them. Has anyone tried this? The jars are reusable indefinitely (unlike the bags which you have to cut open each time). It shouldn't make a difference, but it seems like my jar-sealed hops are losing their potency faster than my bag-sealed hops. The hops in question are all pretty old and different varieties, which could be the culprit.
Author: Chuggernaut
Jan 14th, 2017
12:58 am
I'm still debating getting the mason jar attachment. My issue with the mason jars is that although it creates a vacuum, it isn't removing all (well almost all) of the air like the bags. I have been reusing the bags and haven't had a problem yet. I just cut it with scissors right below the top seal (or use the cutter on the machine for a nice straight cut), use what I want, then reseal it. Just leave a an inch or two extra space when you originally bag it to account for waste. Works good for dry stuff anyway.
Jan 14th, 2017
4:26 pm
Not only that, but jars take up more storage space than bags.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.