Home » Forum » Chilling starters Register | Login
Subject: Chilling starters
Author: Hopper5000
Sep 12th, 2012
9:03 pm
So I don't exactally have a small wort chiller when I make my starters... I have been making starters with 2 liters no problem. I usually sink them in a bowl of ice and when that melts I will run cool water in the bowl until it's at temp. I have started to make larger ones not which are more like 3 liters. The bowl I am using is barely big enough to get ice in there and then run some water but it have been taking quite a while (about 45min) to chill it down this way with the running water (not to mention a huge waste of water).

Anyone have good ideas for chillling starter wort or do I just have to get a bigger bowl?
Subject: Re: Chilling starters
Author: DConn
Sep 12th, 2012
9:11 pm
I put the pot in a sink full of cold water. That gets it from boiling down to about 80 in maybe 10-15 min. Then I drain the water, add more cold water and some ice and put the pot back in. Takes another maybe 5-10 min. to get down into the 70s and I pitch my yeast.
Author: mroakley
Sep 12th, 2012
9:42 pm
Sink of ice water works. There's been times I've also filled up a coleman cooler with ice water when I've had a couple of 5L starters cooling at once.
Author: bazzybrew
Sep 12th, 2012
10:28 pm
Yeah, sink of ice water filled twice usually gets it down to temp in about 20 min
Author: ccarlson
Sep 12th, 2012
10:45 pm
Yes ice water will definitely cool a starter.
Author: Hopper5000
Sep 13th, 2012
4:31 pm
cool, guess i need to go get some ice...
Author: huggy
Sep 13th, 2012
5:05 pm
and water.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.