Home » Forum » warm up or cold drash Register | Login
Subject: warm up or cold drash
Author: tucker38
Aug 27th, 2012
12:33 pm
I have a couple of ales in my chest freezer with a temp controller set at 62. Its been fermenting for 6 days and the airlock is down to almost nothing. should i take the beer out and let it warm up or can i leave it there for another 2 weeks then keg. Does it need to be cold crashed for conditioning?
Subject: Re: warm up or cold drash
Author: DrummerBoySeth2
Aug 27th, 2012
3:47 pm
6 days at 62 is probably not quite enough to be completely done, depending on the initial gravity. If it were me, I would leave the brews alone in the 62 degree freezer for at least one more week (2 weeks total fermenting time) before checking the gravity or doing anything else to it.

You do not NEED to cold crash the beer before bottling, unless you want to. Cold crashing will result in a clearer looking beer, since it helps all the yeast/trub/hops particles fall to the bottom of the fermenter. This step is essentially cosmetic, and does not matter if a little cloudiness does not bother you. If you are trying for that crystal clear "miller lite" look, then cold crashing will help.
Author: JoePostma
Aug 27th, 2012
4:02 pm
When ever I ferment at 60ish or below, I always pull them out to room temp for a day or so to make sure it finishes up and cleans up any diacetyl, etc. It's probably not necessary, but it can't hurt.

I agree with Seth though, it's probably not done. Especially if it's off-gassing at such a cool temperature, you probably still have some fermentation to complete.
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 27th, 2012
4:56 pm
Depending on the yeast you use you might want to take it out of there and let it heat up to get rid of diacetyl.
Author: MadBrewer
Aug 28th, 2012
11:49 am
I guess its just become habit but i ferment where i want the temps for say the first week. By then the bulk of fermentation is completed and i let temps warm up a couple degrees naturally until i bottle. This seems to help finish things out and clean up from fermentation.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.