Home » Forum » Pseudo-cask conditioning? Register | Login
Subject: Pseudo-cask conditioning?
Author: iamliamsdad
Aug 27th, 2012
12:29 am
I made a winter warmer this weekend based on a recipe from Brew Your Own (December 2010):
10 # Marris Otter
0.75 # Crystal 40
0.25 # Chocolate Malt
1.5 # Apple Blossom honey
1/2 can Lyle's golden syrup
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1 oz Goldings at 60 minutes
1 oz Fuggles at 5 minutes
Spices: 4 cinnamon sticks, 1 nutmeg seed, 1 vanilla bean, 7 allspice berries, 1.5 tsp whole cloves, 8 coriander seeds, 2 nectarine peels.
(I put them in a mesh bag and smashed them up). I pulled about 3 cups of wort from the tun after sparging, boiled for 15 minutes, then steeped the spices for 10 minutes and added the liquid at knockout.
White Labs WLP002 (English Ale)

The original recipe was cask conditioned. I can't do that, but I thought an ounce of light toast oak chips for two weeks in the secondary?
Subject: Re: Pseudo-cask conditioning?
Author: DrummerBoySeth2
Aug 27th, 2012
3:42 pm
The oak chips will add that "woody" flavor that the cask would otherwise have provided. I don't know if 1 ounce will show through with all the spices in that brew. You may want to taste it every 3 days or so while it is in secondary until you get to the flavor profile you want. Are you planning to keg or bottle this beer? If you plan on extended aging/bottle conditioning for this brew, then you may want to leave the oak in for a few extra days. As the beer ages, the oak and spice flavors will fade and mellow a bit, so you may want to go SLIGHTLY stronger with the oak than you would if you planned to carbonate and drink it quickly.
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 27th, 2012
4:54 pm
Have you ever used oak chips? I have not and only gone with cubes but heard they will impart flavor very quickly into your beer. Taste often. Cubes will go more slowly but release less flavor overall.
Author: Longshot
Aug 27th, 2012
5:17 pm
Just to clarify, cask conditioning doesn't necessarily mean wood. It refers to the natural carbonation of beer via a secondary fermentation in the serving vessel (cask), as opposed to force carbonation using pressurized CO2. The cask can be wood or metal.

That said, adding some oak chips/cubes to a beer like this sounds like a good idea. As Hopper5000 mentioned, taste every few days as you don't want the oak to overpower the other flavors.
Author: TullyMountain
Aug 27th, 2012
5:24 pm
I would dare say wooden (true) casks are VERY rarely done, as Longshot describes.
I have seen brewers put an oak stave, or cubes in a cask though!
You can do this too, by putting a stave (oak spiral) into your keg while it conditions. Even while serving. The character will evolve while it's conditioning.
Author: spargebag
Sep 2nd, 2012
11:17 pm
I used to love my edme pressure barrel for this. Unfortunately they quit making them long ago. I see something similar on ebay from british sellers. Basically its a plastic bucket w a tap that uses a co2 injector. U can continue to prime w sugar and purge the co2 as the beer flattens. Toward the end u can siphon it out and bottle. This method gave me very believable cask ale. U can also add oak and fish it out when its strong enough.
Author: iamliamsdad
Sep 24th, 2012
3:25 am
I racked on to 1.5 oz of light toast oak chips yesterday... I'm really excited to see how this turns out.
Author: darknova306
Sep 24th, 2012
3:32 am
This recipe looks pretty interesting. Looks like a ton of stuff going on in the flavor. I'll be curious to hear a report once it's ready.
Author: dnfd737
Sep 24th, 2012
12:19 pm
Cask conditioning had taken on a new meaning, in America it refers to a wood barrel age brew. In England and some american breweries it refers to a natural carbonation in a keg as longshot described. I would suggest that with the recipe there is a good chance that this is the case. This can be done via tap a draft and use slightly less primmer than called for.
Author: Longshot
Sep 24th, 2012
9:12 pm
"Cask conditioning had taken on a new meaning, in America it refers to a wood barrel age brew"

Are you sure about this? I've never heard an American brewery refer to wood barrel ageing as 'cask conditioning'. The phrase actually has a fairly rigid definition, which some folks (CAMRA) are pretty militant about
Author: dnfd737
Sep 25th, 2012
2:17 am
Yes I am sure, there are several small breweries I know of that "cask condition" brews then keg them. I even noted to one owner that it was just barrel aged at which time I was refered to another brewery doing the same thing. It seems to be catching on as the new term for barrel aged.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.