Subject: Now a yeast shortage?
Author: murfreesboropd
Aug 26th, 2012
2:21 pm
Sent: 26 August 2012 08:05
To: murf@dennybrew.com
Subject: Yeast Shortage

Sir:
Thank you for contacting Wyeast. We understand your concern about the upcoming yeast shortage. While we do not like to divulge this information early, it is true that we will not have enough yeast for the upcoming brewing year. Some of the shortage can be attributed to not enough yeast being ranched. While we have more yeast on slants this year than in 2011, we have found that the yield per slant will be significantly less. Right now we advertise 100 million yeast cells per smack pack. In 2012 we can only guarantee 75 million yeast cells per activator pack. The reduction is so that we can have more yeast packs available to the homebrewer. Some of our yeast strains are just not being very productive. Take CL-50 for instance. We are having a very hard time to get this yeast to propagate. Seems like this strain is just old, tired and worn out. It may have to go into yeast retirement soon if you know what I mean.

My suggestion is to buy all of your yeast needs early. With regular hoarding and price gouging we expect to exhaust our supply by mid July. Unlike the so-called phantom "hop shortage" this is a very real matter to be taken seriously.

Once again Thank You for contacting Wyeast. If we can be of further assistance please contact us.

Ima Slant
Subject: Re: Now a yeast shortage?
Author: jtrainer
Aug 26th, 2012
5:44 pm
LOL

Author: dnfd737
Aug 26th, 2012
11:12 pm
open fermentation anyone?
Author: thehophead
Aug 27th, 2012
2:10 am
So glad i can use my yeast multiple times.
Author: fireman_044
Aug 27th, 2012
3:42 am
I also heard Home Depot and other DIY stores and home brew stores are running low on plastic buckets... Crap what's next?
Author: TullyMountain
Aug 27th, 2012
12:27 pm
Ima Slant. He's a good dude. lol
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 27th, 2012
4:49 pm
wonder if this is the case for white labs too?
Author: JoePostma
Aug 27th, 2012
5:03 pm
i'm pretty sure this was a joke.
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 27th, 2012
6:46 pm
right.... (red face)

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.