Home » Forum » Hands-free mixer Register | Login
Subject: Hands-free mixer
Author: Longshot
Aug 23rd, 2012
12:00 am
I recently read a Mr. Malty article regarding the use of a whirlpool along with an immersion chiller to speed up the cooling process (http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php). He makes a lot of good points.

The article recommends the use of a March pump (or similar) to recirculate the wort around the chiller during cooling to create a whirlpool effect. I don't own a March pump, but I was wondering if the same whirlpool effect could be created using some kind of hands-free electric mixer. I'm envisioning a mixing paddle on the bottom end of a spinning rod, which is held in place above the top of the pot by horizontal supports. The supports would also hold the electric motor and could be clamped to the sides of the pot for stability during use.

And yes, I'm aware that manually stirring the pot would create the same effect. But who has the time or energy?

Is anyone aware of such a device, either commercially available or DIY? Does this even make sense?
Subject: Re: Hands-free mixer
Author: WVaBill
Aug 23rd, 2012
12:42 pm
I would be a bit concerned with hot side aeration. As long as the paddles don't make too much of a commotion, might be ok.
Subject: Re: Hands-free mixer
Author: TullyMountain
Aug 23rd, 2012
1:27 pm
A mortar stirring paddle. Mine is 3/8" chromed, and just formed into a 4-way rectangular paddle end.

The end goes into a 3/8" drill.

You could mount it on low above the pot.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.