Home » Forum » Looking for a Lager/Ale Wort Register | Login
Subject: Looking for a Lager/Ale Wort
Author: mtyquinn
Aug 22nd, 2012
7:08 pm
I'm planning on brewing with my father who does not have the ability to brew lagers. We wanted to brew up ten gallons and split the batch. I have a big slurry of Wyeast Oktoberfest lager yeast that I want to use up, but he will be using a to-be-determined ale yeast. Any suggestions as to what style to brew? Recipe suggestions?
Subject: Re: Looking for a Lager/Ale Wort
Author: DConn
Aug 22nd, 2012
7:11 pm
An Ofest certainly would work for what you intend. I've made a lot of PseudOfest using WY1007. The key is to be able to ferment fairly cool and cold condition it after fermentation. Can he do that?
Author: mtyquinn
Aug 22nd, 2012
7:24 pm
I think so. Let's say he ferments at say 60 degrees. Bottles, then after the beer is carbonated, put the bottles in the fridge for cold conditioning? Would that work?

I was also wondering if there's something with a bit more hop character that might work. We have a huge crop of Cascades, EKG and fuggles at our disposal, but we don't HAVE to brew with them.
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 22nd, 2012
7:43 pm
Well you could also try a California Common, although they generally aren't as hoppy.
Author: DConn
Aug 22nd, 2012
7:52 pm
Yeah, that plan should work.

None of the hops you list are traditionally lager hops, but that doesn't mean you can't do something with them. A Cascade pils kinda thing might be interesting. I've also seen Cascade used in CA common. although it isn't common.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.