Home » Forum » Fermenter Blew it's top Register | Login
Subject: Fermenter Blew it's top
Author: battman69
Aug 18th, 2012
12:53 pm
I brewed a clone of Stone Ruination last Saturday. Checked it Tuesday and the air lock was bubbling merrily went to pull a six pack out of the chest freezer last night for the Bucs game and the lid was blown off. There is still a nice Kraussen on top and I put the lid back on before I headed out to the game. What is the consensus here. It was in a cooler at 62 degrees. Should I dump it or give it a try? It still needs to be dry hopped.
Subject: Re: Fermenter Blew it's top
Author: TullyMountain
Aug 18th, 2012
1:51 pm
Why would you think about dumping it?
Author: Teeter
Aug 18th, 2012
3:40 pm
It happens alot. I have never had a problem, but you may want to use a big blow off tube for any future big beers.
Author: HiGrvty
Aug 18th, 2012
5:03 pm
I've had this happen quite a few times with no problems, but I second what teeter says. I use a blow off tube for the peak activity and then switch over to a regular air lock when things begin to settle. Anyway, answer to your question - keep it. You've already gone through all the time and money of getting it to this point, might as well keep on truckin'. I only dump beer if the final product sucks.
Author: mtyquinn
Aug 18th, 2012
5:56 pm
No need to dump. It's most likely fine. I just put a blow off tube on all my big beers now and leave it on. Haven't had that problem since.
Author: DrummerBoySeth2
Aug 18th, 2012
8:54 pm
DO NOT DUMP IT!!!! If it is generating enough gas and pressure to push the lid off the fermenter, then it is nearly impossible for anything to get into the fermenter. Your beer will be fine. Re-sanitize the lid, reinstall it, and put a blow-off tube in place of that airlock. I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that your beer is not infected, or damaged in any way from this incident.
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 20th, 2012
5:15 am
I wouldn't worry. Happened to me on my last brew and it is tasting fine in the keg so far.
Author: bmoney33
Aug 21st, 2012
2:07 am
One of my best beers ever, a double black ipa, blew the airlock so hard into the ceiling that it shattered it and covered my closet with about a gallon or two of sticky mess...

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.