Home » Forum » Carbing and travel Register | Login
Subject: Carbing and travel
Author: bambam26
Aug 16th, 2012
6:43 pm
Ok guys here is my question. I will be kegging a batch this weekend for a camping trip to an elevation of 3500 feet. I have plenty of time to get carbination right so should I just carb at serving setting or force carb and do the shake and roll deal? Alsowhile traveling along dirt roads into higher elevation will I have any issues with the beer getting to shook up? Should I bleed off the keg when I arrive then set to serving pressure? Thanks for the help this is my first keg!!!
Subject: Re: Carbing and travel
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 16th, 2012
7:17 pm
How much time until the camping trip? I would set it to the PSI which will get you your desired volume of CO2 and leave it, depending on how long you have until your trip. Was there a lot of headspace between the lid and the beer? That can help the beer carb a bit faster in my opinion. If you don't have about 2 weeks to let the beer carb then I would try force carbing/shaking and rolling a little bit.

Traveling on the dirt roads will shake up your beer and probably stur up the sediment on the bottom of it. I would bleed off the keg when you arrive and then set it to serving pressure.

I would also recommend trying to keep the keg cold if possible because as it warms up (and gets shaken) it will tend to lose CO2 out of the beer.

What kind of beer is it btw? Will you be serving it out of a picnic tap?
Author: bambam26
Aug 16th, 2012
9:17 pm
I will have until the 4th of September and I am kegging this Saturday, it is a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and yes to the picnic tap although I do also have a regular tap that I can put on the keg. So you think just setting the PSI to say 10 and letting it Carb untill I need it will be fine?
Author: Dunkelbier
Aug 17th, 2012
12:25 pm
bamban26 - yeah, that'll be fine. I assume you have a reason why you don't want the convenience of bottles on the camping trip. I usually take bottles camping, because it's less of a hassle.
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 17th, 2012
4:32 pm
Ya setting it to 10 should be fine and using a picnic tap is fine too. I would try it a few days before to make sure it's carbed. If not then do the rolling method a couple of times.

When I do the rolling I set it to 30, let it pressurize and then roll it round on the ground horizontally (more surface area exposed to the CO2) for about a minute. I then put it back in the kegerator for an hour without putting the CO2 line back on as the beer can foam and might eject foam into your CO2 line.

You should try it after an hour and see how it is. If it needs more carbing then repeat. If it seems fine then put the CO2 line back on just set it back to serving pressure.

Have a great camping trip!

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.