Home » Forum » brewing w plums Register | Login
Subject: brewing w plums
Author: spargebag
Aug 12th, 2012
2:38 pm
Anyone ever throw plums in secondary? Im pondering a plum dubbel but after tasting Croatian slivovitz plum brandy, which tastes like lacquer thinner im a little leary. I love umeshu, a japanese liqueur made with green ume plums and sugar, but the plums arent fermented. I know that adding blueberries to beer is tart and dry and doesn't taste like blueberries. I wonder if plums would do the same.
Subject: Re: brewing w plums
Author: MMMBREW
Aug 13th, 2012
2:56 pm
I've never brewed with plums, but I have read/ heard lots about them. I think plums would be fine, but to really get the dark fruit character that you're probably looking for in a dubbel, I would suggest figs, dates, or curraints. I have heard plums can give more of a tart flavor than that true figgy/plum flavor you are probably trying to achieve. I've also used raisins in a dubbel which turned out great. You can throw them in a blender with some wort or you can caramelize them in a pan with some syrup or sugars.

One of my buddies at my lhbs brewed a hef a couple years ago and shoved a bunch of plums in his secondary fermenter. The thing blew beer all over the back part of the shop for about 3 days. Very explosive. I wouldn't suggest shoving whole plums in your fermenter haha.
Author: EricHa
Aug 13th, 2012
4:16 pm
special B malt helps too.
Author: MMMBREW
Aug 13th, 2012
4:37 pm
Indeed. I use a lb or so of special b for my strong darks and dubbels. I would even go as far as 1.25 or 1.5 lbs to see the additions. Some have reported negative flavors with too much though.
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 13th, 2012
4:42 pm
With bottle conditioned beer and plums it sounds like it will be an interesting next morning...
Author: spargebag
Aug 13th, 2012
8:56 pm
I don't care for the special b...too much burnt character for me. Ive been using 140degree crystal and caramunich which gives plenty of chocolate. The plums are tasty and cheap now so i was just pondering using them.
Author: EricHa
Aug 13th, 2012
9:00 pm
Anyone try 2 plums and a hotdog?!

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.