Home » Forum » A twist on a kegging question Register | Login
Subject: A twist on a kegging question
Author: Dunkelbier
Aug 9th, 2012
2:57 pm
I currently have a keg of Porter that's going to be emptied tonight (drink 'til it hurts on a 'school' night if I have to! LOL) and I have a smoked porter ready to be kegged. I'm thinking about transferring the smoked porter directly into the porter keg without cleaning and sanitizing the keg. The only difference between the two recipes is the smoked malt, which is the only reason I'm thinking about taking this approach.

If you've done this before, please let me know if it worked or if I'm setting myself up for a disaster here.

Thanks!
Subject: Re: A twist on a kegging question
Author: EricHa
Aug 9th, 2012
3:09 pm
shouldn't be a problem, just have everything ready for transfer, pop the top off the keg and transfer away. My only concern would be the 'yeast cake' at the bottom of the keg.... you won't be clearing that out and then it'll get bigger with the new batch on top of it...if that doesn't bother you, go for it.
Author: DConn
Aug 9th, 2012
3:26 pm
Yeah, I've done it before and didn't have any problems.
Author: MMMBREW
Aug 9th, 2012
5:41 pm
Yeah I wouldn't worry except for the yeast cake either. If you could just spray most of that out through the main lid in the top of the keg you'd be good. If you have some star san ready you could spray or wipe down anything that you have to reconnect to the gas.
Author: brewboy_BB
Aug 9th, 2012
7:22 pm
Denny's done it, so it's the gospel.
Aug 9th, 2012
7:33 pm
It certainly isn't "the gospel". I'm just relating my experience, which is what was asked for.
Author: EricHa
Aug 9th, 2012
8:14 pm
I thought anything denny did was automatically and magically written down in the brew bible?!
Aug 9th, 2012
8:16 pm
Only if _you_ do it. I don't think anybody else does.
Author: Langeneckert
Aug 9th, 2012
9:57 pm
I dont think its worth the risk. It will probably turn out fine, but what if some little bug gets into your beer... through the pop-its, or whatever, or if your smoked porter has a slow growing bug in it. Its not worth spending 5 or 6 hours making the beer only to have it soured to save an hour cleaning the keg.
Author: mroakley
Aug 9th, 2012
10:10 pm
"I dont think its worth the risk. It will probably turn out fine, but what if some little bug gets into your beer..."

I agree. I've lost a few (initially) really great beers due to a slow growing infection. I now disassemble, clean, and sanitize every keg before filling.

All that being said, the OP is probably fine just filling. I know a lot of homebrewers that do it. I wouldn't do it. But I'm also paranoid.
Author: TullyMountain
Aug 9th, 2012
10:14 pm
I assume it's gonna be cold? If so nothing will be evolving fast in there anyway.

Also, if you keg is sealed and was sanitary before it should still be, cold with co2, you'll be fine
Aug 9th, 2012
10:17 pm
I did it a few times after I first heard of someone else doing it a while back. I wanted to see if the idea worked for me. It did. I tried it on 2-3 kegs and it worked fine. Not a huge sample size, admittedly. That said, my SOP is to clean the kegs, and disassemble and clean poppets, QDs, and cobra taps.
Aug 9th, 2012
10:20 pm
"Also, if you keg is sealed and was sanitary before it should still be, cold with co2, you'll be fine "

This makes sense. And I know a bunch of folks that do this kind of thing. Relatively routinely. But I'm paranoid.
Author: TullyMountain
Aug 9th, 2012
10:32 pm
Lol. I feel like everyone's just dabbling with the top post, as we're all in shock about Forumgate.
Author: brewboy_BB
Aug 10th, 2012
3:41 am
If you're paranoid, you shouldn't be brewing. Go for it.
Aug 10th, 2012
4:41 am
"If you're paranoid, you shouldn't be brewing."

I've never heard someone say you shouldn't be cautious when it comes to sanitation and brewing. Well, if you've never had an infection and you're lax in your sanitation, good fortune is definitely yours. Hope your luck continues.
Author: erkoll
Aug 10th, 2012
4:49 am
in brewing don't overthink it, its just beer
Author: Langeneckert
Aug 10th, 2012
5:06 am
Im just saying I would rather be safe than sorry. Im not paranoid, but I have had one or two infections due to whatever. Ill probably never know the actual cause of the infections, was it the primary, the secondary, the racking cane? Infections suck. 99% is good enough for me, go for it. But it really sucks when that 1 in 100 comes around and spoils something. Itll happen when you have a party coming up and there is some expectation of beer... blah blah blah.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.