Home » Forum » Stirring the mash Register | Login
Subject: Stirring the mash
Author: bambam26
Aug 4th, 2012
2:21 pm
How often do you stir the mash when it is in the tun at temp? I will be doing my 1st all grain soon so I want to get this right....
Subject: Re: Stirring the mash
Author: brucef
Aug 4th, 2012
3:00 pm
I do it about every 20 minutes. Don't know if it helps or not I just do it.
Author: brewboy_BB
Aug 4th, 2012
3:03 pm
I stir only until it gets mixed well and it's at temp. Then I close it up, cover with a blanket and leave it overnight.
Author: DConn
Aug 4th, 2012
3:30 pm
I've tried the same recipe both stirring and not stirring. I've done it several tines with different recipes and found that I didn't gain anything by stirring. It did cause the mash to lose heat, though, when I opened the cooler to stir.
Author: kbrad895
Aug 4th, 2012
3:40 pm
I used to stir half way through the mash but on one batch I got busy with something else and didn't stir. I had no change in effeciency but my temp held better, so I no longer stir durring the mash.
Author: MadBrewer
Aug 4th, 2012
4:20 pm
I used to also stir halfway through and then usually before draining for the sparge. I don't think it's made a difference not stirring once you mash in and make sure of no dough balls. Once I got the temp where I want it, I close it up for an hour. I've notice my temps hold much better not stirring.
Author: BryansBrew
Aug 4th, 2012
4:21 pm
I stir once half way through. haven't noticed any loss in temp. If anything, you might be mixing up the cooler mash from the sides and the top with the warmer mash in the middle.
Aug 4th, 2012
4:56 pm
Do an overnight mash and it doesn't matter. If it CAN convert it Will convert.
Author: Dunkelbier
Aug 4th, 2012
7:45 pm
I stir it well initially and then leave it alone. Like others have said, keeps the temp better.
Aug 4th, 2012
8:55 pm
I heard that if you play with your mash too much you'll go blind.
Author: bambam26
Aug 4th, 2012
11:33 pm
Great answers, except what is this overnight stuff?
Author: scarylarry
Aug 5th, 2012
1:17 am
you also can get hairy palms
Aug 5th, 2012
2:10 am
I mash in around 9 PM, insulate the tun well and pick back up in the morning around 7 AM. I get great efficiency and I break up the brew day. I don't think i could go back to an "all in one day" brew.
Author: EricHa
Aug 5th, 2012
2:23 am
I thought this was goin to be a euphamism! darn!
Aug 5th, 2012
2:25 am
See other forum.
Author: ghostlygreen
Aug 6th, 2012
4:21 am
after u mash overnight /, what is your sparge temp . or do u add all water ay the same time?
Author: jtrainer
Aug 6th, 2012
5:05 am
Please don't encourage him...

If you mash in and are over temp simply stirring the mash will help reduce this we know this already.

My question for the OP is why would you stir the mash once mashed in in the first place?

As for overnight mashing you will either need a cooler mashtun or a nice RIMS/HERMs like automated system.

Aug 6th, 2012
11:16 am
My mash temp generally drops to the mid to lower 140's, even though I insulate the cooler with a king size comfortable. Next morning I add 2 gallon of boiling water, collect my runnings and then sparge with water that's about 185 to 190.
Author: BryansBrew
Aug 6th, 2012
11:35 am
even with a 5 gallon batch, I've never gotten the mash to drop temp by stirring it if I over shot. I've always had to add cold water. Not sure why you all are seeing such a loss of temp, but I sure don't.
Author: Dunkelbier
Aug 6th, 2012
1:09 pm
Bryan - in the rare cases I've overshot the temp, I'm with you. Added ice cubes from the freezer and dropped the temp right down. I hate doing that, but it's so much easier to correct by having to drop the temp than to try and heat up the mash. Maybe I'm just a simpleton.
Author: MadBrewer
Aug 6th, 2012
3:11 pm
Temp loss has a lot to do with thermal mass. Those that occupy most of the space in their mashtun will see less heat loss as well as those that brew lareger batches. Those that have a higher water to grist ratio will probably also see less heat loss. Type of cooler, ambient temps...the enviroment you are brewing. some brew in the ac of their homes some brew in 110* heat outside in the sun. Some only brew over the winter some only brew in the summer. Everyone's settup and process is different. No mashtun is created equal. lol

But I usually only drop a degree or two most over the entrie mash. Anytime you open the mashtun, you are letting heat escape, how much who knows, how it impacts the temps...it all depends. But I usually aim for a degree over my desired mash temp so I can better hit that temp I want, I rather be a little warm and let it come down by stirring with the lid off or adding an ice cube or two than needing to heat the mash 2-3 degrees.
Author: Hopper5000
Aug 8th, 2012
4:03 pm
I usually mash for an hour or 90min and stur every 20 to 30min. On a 60min mash I stur twice. I have an igloo cooler which looses about 3F over that time. The overnight mash it to get a highly fermentable wort. I haven't done that method personally but can't you get a sour beer on accident from this method?
Aug 8th, 2012
4:05 pm
I've done it numerous times and have never had one sour. I do, however mash in after 9 PM and mash out at around 7 AM. I also wrap my cooler with a king size comforter, double thickness.
Author: EricHa
Aug 8th, 2012
4:31 pm
I'm pretty sure to intentially sour your mash you have to let it sit more than 12hrs. most stuff I've seen is close to 24hrs.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.