Home » Forum » Bottle cleaning help... Register | Login
Subject: Bottle cleaning help...
Author: bambam26
Jul 30th, 2012
11:59 pm
I have 2.5 cases of 22 oz bottles that have the labels screen printed on? Does anyone know a way of removing that easily? Thanks
Subject: Re: Bottle cleaning help...
Author: EricHa
Jul 31st, 2012
12:46 am
I remember seeing something about this over at AHA forum... I know razor blades were involved in some cases, but some folks recommended something to soak them in too...
Author: brewboy_BB
Jul 31st, 2012
12:49 am
"I remember seeing something about this over at AHA forum..."

Didn't you Mom ever talk to you about hanging out in undesirable places with undesirable people?
Author: Langeneckert
Jul 31st, 2012
1:12 am
Its not worth the effort to get those off. I spent hours trying to clean 2 of them off. Soaked them in everything I could find, PBW, Muriatic Acid, the works. Nothing worked. It would be worth the $2.50 to just go buy some. Or use them as is.... even though I hate doing that too.
Author: spargebag
Jul 31st, 2012
1:50 am
Just leave em on. They dont hurt a thing.
Jul 31st, 2012
2:17 am
yea yea yea... I've been known to hang at a few dive bars... I'm guilty of not always listening to my mom either...
Author: JimRod
Jul 31st, 2012
7:00 am
I read somewhere that soaking them in Starsan overnight softens them so you can finish the job with steel wool.
Jul 31st, 2012
11:25 am
Hydrofluoric acid would probably remove the lettering, but it eats glass too.
Author: Hopper5000
Jul 31st, 2012
3:06 pm
I think I remember seeing that paint thinner will get that off... although I would personally keep that away from my bottles...
Author: MMMBREW
Jul 31st, 2012
3:16 pm
If you soak your labels in pbw or one-step cleaner with hot or warm water, they should be able to peel off pretty easily. I like to use german or belgian bottles for my bottling, simply because the labels come off so easily. You'll find that certain breweries use more glue or tougher glue than others. Ive had good success with odell bottles, but I remember having a tough time with sam adams. Some of the german and belgian labels fall right off without you even touching them in the hot water.
Jul 31st, 2012
3:47 pm
He's not talking about labels...he's got the bottles like Stone prints...
Jul 31st, 2012
4:35 pm
I think it will take more than paint thinner. I'd try lacquer thinner or acetone and I truly doubt these will remove baked on paint.
Author: mtyquinn
Jul 31st, 2012
6:13 pm
I actually avoid buying Stone bombers for that very reason. If I buy a bomber it has to have paper labels so I can remove them. I want my money's worth. Screen printed bottles are not worth the effort to remove the print.
Author: MMMBREW
Jul 31st, 2012
6:25 pm
Oh right right, sorry Didnt' realize what type we were talking about. I've scrubbed some stone bottles clean before, but it took way too much time and I don't know of a way to expedite that process much at all. I would question if those bottles would be worth the time and trouble.
Author: bambam26
Jul 31st, 2012
7:40 pm
Ok so these bottles sound like they will be good for experimental brews. Does not sound worth the hassle to remove the screen print....Thanks everyone

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.