Home » Forum » Ice Build up inside kegerator Register | Login
Subject: Ice Build up inside kegerator
Author: Dunkelbier
Jul 25th, 2012
2:09 am
Hello Gents -

I live in the South and the summers tend to be a bit hot and humid. I've noticed that I've got a significant build up of ice on the inside of the kegerator. Is my only choice to chip away at the ice with a screwdriver? It's getting pretty thick and I'll have to do something. Anybody got any better ideas?
Subject: Re: Ice Build up inside kegerator
Author: CE
Jul 25th, 2012
2:11 am
What temp is your kegerator set at?
Jul 25th, 2012
2:15 am
It's set at around 38* and the room temp is around 78*.
Author: brewboy_BB
Jul 25th, 2012
2:39 am
DON'T chip it away. You might damage some coils or at a minimum, scratch the $hit out of it. Shut it down and blow a fan into it. It doesn't take long like this.

Is this a converted freezer?
Author: jtrainer
Jul 25th, 2012
5:37 am
Damp Rid helps pull the moisture from the ambient air. This will remove it from the possibility of freezing on the coils. One thing that I found to really help even my kegerator temps out was to run power for a small DC fan from a PC. In my tests over a 110 streak I had upwards of 23 degrees top to bottom and 8-9 degrees sides to middle. I find my kegerator kicks on less frequently now as a result, I know I sit not but 3 feet away from it for work.

Most manuals don't advise the chipping method as they also suggest to NOT use a hair dryer to defrost it either.

Un plug it and let the door lay open. I do this at least once a year and take the opportunity to wipe all surfaces and sanitize the inside with Star San.
Jul 25th, 2012
11:22 am
Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll have to shut it down this weekend for a while and get rid of the build up.
Jul 25th, 2012
7:40 pm
usually takes me a couple of hours.
Jul 25th, 2012
7:42 pm
You can defrost it in 15 minutes with a box fan aimed at it.
Jul 26th, 2012
1:29 am
Thanks..I have a big box fan. Looks like I'll try that approach. I was worried about my 2 kegs.
Jul 26th, 2012
2:05 am
Take out the kegs and throw a blanket over them. They'll never know the difference.
Jul 27th, 2012
11:08 pm
BB was a bit optimistic on the 15 minutes, but it only took 90 minutes or so with the box fan going full bore. Thanks for the advice! Kegerator is now humming along, getting things back to normal.
Jul 28th, 2012
12:11 am
I dunno, my wife says it took 3 minutes and I say 15. What can I say?
Jul 28th, 2012
12:18 am
It's all good. Having my first pint of the Dunkelweizen....still a little warm, but tasty.
Jul 28th, 2012
4:48 am
Don't forget the Damp Rid to wick the moisture before it freezes.....

Jul 28th, 2012
11:14 am
J, how often do you have to change out or dry out the Damp Rid?
Jul 28th, 2012
6:06 pm
For me keep in mind I'm in a fairly low humidity state so approx every 9-12 months I make a total refill.

I've only dried it out twice, it was a lot of work, ruined the bad pan I was tossing out anyhow too. I find it cheaper to locate and buy the refill bag of the damp rid from wallymart....
Jul 28th, 2012
6:08 pm
Does this completely eliminate the frost ring on the freezer wall, that forms by the coils?
Jul 28th, 2012
6:11 pm
Does for me... I haven't defrosted since I added it to my system. Also I should note my kegerator is not just for kegs, I place beer/soda/water/meat&veggies (during my BBQ/cooking)/etc... so the door is opening and closing much more so than a normal duty kegerator. This I find does not help the frost thing.

Jul 28th, 2012
6:12 pm
Since you can get it at Wal-Mart, I'm good to go. Thanks.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.