Home » Forum » return to brewing...problem Register | Login
Subject: return to brewing...problem
Author: rkelley
Jul 24th, 2012
2:40 am
Hi guys,

Long time since I have been around. Life (illness, divorce, unemployment) got in the way. But I'm finally back to brewing and I have a problem. Made an easy going lawnmower beer about a month ago, everything went great, drank it up quick.

Working on a Pilsener today, and everything went great until the yeast. I had built up a starter over the last week and everything looked great. Popped the top off tonight, and obviously infected. Terrible smell, taste and texture. I've never screw up yeast before, but there is a first for everything.

I went ahead and pitched the Wyeast 1056 slurry from the beer I made a few weeks ago. I'm not worried too much, but I'm curious if anyone can give me a rough idea of what I'm gonna get from a Pilsener recipe with 1056 yeast, fermenting at 64 degrees?

Thanks everyone!

Subject: Re: return to brewing...problem
Author: brewboy_BB
Jul 24th, 2012
2:43 am
You'll get a cleaner beer if you can get the temp down to 60 or below. I ferment US05 at 50, but it slows it down a lot. 1056 is close but I can't say for sure if it will go that low.

Oh and welcome back to brewing. Sorry for the crap you had to go through.
Author: EricHa
Jul 24th, 2012
4:09 am
Yea, if you can get the temp down even more, it'll be much cleaner. either way, its going to be just fine.
Author: Langeneckert
Jul 24th, 2012
2:00 pm
The first few times I grew up yeast I thought they were infected too. I talked to a biologist friend of mine who said it should stink if you have the right concentration of yeast cells. Just not like sewage.
Jul 24th, 2012
5:06 pm
taste and smell is the best way to know if you're yeast has gone bad or not...
Jul 24th, 2012
5:07 pm
Some pilsner yeast puts off a kind of rotten egg aroma.
Jul 24th, 2012
5:13 pm
actually I was refering to smell/taste prior to pitching. I wouldn't suggest tasting during fermentation... yea, that would be really nasty in some cases. I like to compare it to fish. Fish only smell fishy when they're going bad or have gone bad... yeast is pretty much the same.
Jul 24th, 2012
5:15 pm
"Fish only smell fishy..."

Reminds me of an old joke.
Author: TullyMountain
Jul 24th, 2012
8:43 pm
here we go...
Author: rkelley
Jul 25th, 2012
1:26 am
Thanks guys. I currently have it working at 58 degrees (taken with a digital thermometer inside the fermenter). I also pitched 300mL of slurry to ensure a quick start. Had to put the temp controller on 55 to balance it.

I've had some stinky yeast before, but this smelled similar to the times I've replaced the wax ring under the toilet. I would have eaten the bad fish over using this yeast.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.