Home » Forum » Chocolate Stout Floats Register | Login
Subject: Chocolate Stout Floats
Author: jtrainer
Jul 14th, 2012
4:57 am
So I was watching (half ass) and working while smoking my dinner and I glanced over and realized the show on the tube had changed to some food beer pairing stuff. Very interesting, any how they made Double Chocolate Stout Floats and for a twist added Raspberry Lambic. SWMBO walked in and saw it and said that looked good without knowing there was beer in it.

So I've thought about this and I think I want to make one to serve at an end of summer BBQ where I'll smoke ribs and maybe serve pulled pork done the day prior or some thing like that.

Anyone try this yet and if so what are my general guides for making the perfect Dbl Chocolate Stout?

Cocoa Nibs? Cocoa Powder? Stick with Chocolate Malt?

Subject: Re: Chocolate Stout Floats
Author: DrummerBoySeth2
Jul 14th, 2012
3:30 pm
Chocolate malt is a somewhat misleading name. It does not impart a ton of chocolate flavor, but more of a roasty flavor profile. You will probably want to use at least some chocolate malt in your base stout for color, and the right flavor profile, but it will not be the primary ingredient. I would probably start with a good milk stout or sweet stout recipe, and secondary on cocoa nibs to get the chocolate flavor. I know some brewers that use some form of chocolate powder or prepared chocolate in the boil, but I have never done that, and don't have a ton of experience with that method. I usually add any extra goodies to my stouts in secondary. A vanilla bean or 2 in secondary with the nibs will bring out the chocolate flavor a little more and accentuate the sweetness of the lactose some. This should pair well with vanilla ice cream when you make your floats.
Author: EricHa
Jul 14th, 2012
4:58 pm
I've tried them all and prefer using nibs in secondary. I've gotten the most flavor/aroma that way.
Author: dnfd737
Jul 15th, 2012
6:09 pm
in the end you can achieve a fair chocolate flavor from toastd malts carmel malts and chocolate malts. Anning real chocolate willhelp a load full, adding lactose and oatmeal will help way more than expected! Keeping the roasted barley and black malt to a minimum will assist too.
Author: WApilot
Jul 18th, 2012
4:41 am
That beer and lambic is the exact same pairing my wife and I have during our summer desserts.
I make a chocolate stout every fall, put it on nitrogen, and then pour it on a big 'ol scoop of vanilla icecream in a pint glass....very yummy.
I go with more chocolate malt and sometimes I add just a touch of lactose.
Author: Lowstroke
Jul 18th, 2012
7:24 am
I had a friend come up to the brewery a couple of weeks back. He brought a carton of vanilla ice cream. We scooped it into a pint glass, poured oatmeal stout into said glass. It was surprisingly good. Its now become a good thing. Might be good for you as well.
Author: TullyMountain
Jul 18th, 2012
10:28 am
At Stone, they have a float on their menu.
Stone Smoked Porter poured over Neiderfranks Vanilla Bean Handmade ice cream.
No chocolate in there, but, ...Yum. That was good.
Author: Liquidplacebo
Jul 18th, 2012
1:20 pm
I have a stone smoked porter in the fridge right now. Never tried it but I will get there.
Author: brewboy_BB
Jul 18th, 2012
2:32 pm
I've made stout ice cream before. Pretty good, but it was hard to taste the stout. I'll dig up the recipe if anyone wants it.
Author: MMMBREW
Jul 18th, 2012
8:38 pm
I kept reading about adding stouts to chocolate icecream, and I was like: great! I'll add storm king imperial stout to some coffee ice cream! Good match right? Wrong. Tasted like bitter, sour milk. I'd love to try a beer dessert that actually tastes good. I'll try something again sometime.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.