Author: dnfd737
Jul 3rd, 2012
3:31 pm
On tap black IPA
to make this weekend cream ale
in 2 weeks ordinary bitter
2 weeks after that.....Brown ale
soon to follow Southern hemisphere IPA american style ipa with NZ hops
then My monster 14% Cream Stoup for christmas and my colonial porter from the same grain.

Any onw want to help? I pay in beer!
Subject: Re: brewing in full swing!
Author: CharlieHorse
Jul 3rd, 2012
3:43 pm
Eric, try the Galaxy hops in your Southern Hemisphere IPA... it's freakin' awesome! I'd head down, but you're a bit far from Woodbridge.
Author: Dunkelbier
Jul 3rd, 2012
4:57 pm
Brewing a Dunkelweizen tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. Then, hope to use the yeast cake from that to make a Dark Ale. Need to kill a keg sometime in the next month to make this all work, but don't worry, I think I have it under control.
Author: CharlieHorse
Jul 3rd, 2012
6:15 pm
I'm doing my blueberry porter Saturday, bottling Denny's BVIP tomorrow and moving an Amber over to secondary Friday night.
Author: Langeneckert
Jul 3rd, 2012
9:30 pm
I got a bunch of Galaxy and I can never go wrong using them. I put them in an Ipa and an IIPA, also a beligium pale ale. All three turned out right.
Author: BryansBrew
Jul 4th, 2012
1:58 pm
did my centennial ale a few days ago. Will do a scottish next.

Then I need to brew the centennial again for the Brews fest at the farmers market and then figure out something to make for the homebrewers jamboree. (both in sept). I could fall back on my brett saison if I have to, but I rather not give that away.

What quick ale can I make for a bunch of beer geeks? hmm... If I had more time I could do my heather ale, but it's best after maturing for a few months.

maybe some sort of belgian? something with an uncommon fruit or other ingredient? Fire off some ideas my way
Author: brewboy_BB
Jul 4th, 2012
2:33 pm
Bryan, is your centennial ale recipe posted at your site?
Jul 4th, 2012
5:17 pm
Bryan....how about some local fruit/berries in a pale ale. Not my kind of thing, but definitely different and the chicks usually dig it....
Jul 4th, 2012
5:33 pm
the centennial is version 2. I may or may not tweak it for version 3 depending on how I like this batch. So I haven't posted it yet. However, here is the latest rewrite:

5.5G batch

6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 58.4 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 22.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.0 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 5 9.0 %
2.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.1 %

0.25 oz Warrior [16.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 7 3.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [11.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 23.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [11.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 11.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [11.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast Labs #1450) Yeast 12 -

Dunkel, I've been thinking about a mango or guava beer. Not local by a long shot, but definitely different. Peaches and blueberries are the local fare here. That's been done to death.

There are always a bunch of women at the event, and some tend to get crazy. I was hoping to cater more towards the beer geeks. Though I don't have time to make a funky beer.

Could do a strawberry blonde with a little lactic acid. 'put a hot ginger on the label, and that should satisfy both crowds, right? Screw the crowds, it'd satisfy ME!
Jul 4th, 2012
5:39 pm
LMAO @ 'Screw the crowds, it'd satisfy ME!'....that's every hetero male in the US..hell, the world!
Jul 4th, 2012
6:29 pm
Thanks, Bryan. Have you ever tried it with US05 or ???

I'm not a fan of that yeast.
Jul 4th, 2012
7:02 pm
I used us05 last time. I want to see the difference.
Jul 4th, 2012
10:58 pm
Bryan or BB or anyone else - have you guys ever made a Perry? That's something I've really not seen discussed here and that's a bit different.
Jul 4th, 2012
11:19 pm
hmm. nope! I think that'd take a bit more time than I have, though.
I'll have to put it on my list
Jul 4th, 2012
11:28 pm
I made one by using 4 gallons of apple juice and 1 gallon of pears in syrup (no preservatives) last fall. Fermented it with Champagne yeast and it definitely needed to age. The older it got, the better it got. I think pears are now coming into season, so i might have to try and make an authentic one.
Author: DConn
Jul 4th, 2012
11:38 pm
We've got a pear tree and a cider press so I've made perry a couple times. If you use fresh pears, use slightly underripe ones. Ripe pears are a bitch to press!
Jul 4th, 2012
11:45 pm
Thanks Denny! Good to know. You also need to use Camden tablets to kill the yeast on the skin, as I recall.
Jul 5th, 2012
12:28 am
Sorry, not me.
Author: DConn
Jul 5th, 2012
3:29 pm
I use campden sometimes, but not always. The best ciders and perries I've made have been fermented naturally. But I'm about 50/50 on having that work.
Author: MMMBREW
Jul 5th, 2012
4:10 pm
I've used raspberries many times with no ill effects from bacteria or anything of the sort. I think throwing fruit in secondary is pretty safe. Something with skins on it may be different, but between the alcohol and antibacterial effect of the hops, I normally dont' worry about it.
Author: Longshot
Jul 5th, 2012
9:13 pm
Brewed Denny's BVIP recipe last weekend, with 5 lbs of the base malt smoked over cherrywood chips. Planning to brew a Belgian witbier with cherries and a to-be-determined spice.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.