Home » Forum » Sorachi/Motueka Register | Login
Subject: Sorachi/Motueka
Author: MMMBREW
Jul 2nd, 2012
9:33 pm
You guys had any success with either one? I hear great things about both. I brewed a saison (80% pils 10% wheat, 10% sugar) and bought 4 oz loose leaf sorachi and 2 oz motueka pellets.

My hop schedule is such for an 8 gallon batch, split into two fermenters, 1 with wlp565, and 1 with wlp 550

.5 oz motueka fwh
1 oz sorachi @ 15
1 oz Motueka @ 5 and 1 oz sorachi @ 5
.5 motueka @ 0 min

1 oz sorachi in each fermenter DH

Let me know how you guys liked these hops

Subject: Re: Sorachi/Motueka
Author: EricHa
Jul 2nd, 2012
9:36 pm
I have used both but not together, should be a good mix. I remember I didn't put anything negative in my notes about motueka for bittering so it must have been ok. Some of those NZ hops did not lend themselves well for bittering...
Jul 2nd, 2012
10:02 pm
Yeah I was nervous about that too, but from what I read Motueka is a dual use hop, and has good bittering properties as well as all of the flavor and aroma compounds. At least that small fwh additions shouldn't yield too much bitterness anyway.
Jul 2nd, 2012
10:23 pm
I need to pick up some more sorachi... I've been wanting to mix it with simcoe and these NZ hops...
Jul 2nd, 2012
10:33 pm
Yeah that's what I'm after too. I was inspired by tank 7 from boulevard, which is heavy on simcoe, but I think these nz and japanese hops would be great in a hoppier saison or many other styles. I'll let you know how mine turns out.
Author: jtrainer
Jul 3rd, 2012
5:07 am
I was really excited to play with the Motueka a couple years back. Used 1.5 Lbs. I was less than happy with it, however another NZ variety Riwaka was stellar IMO. Motueka has a nice write up but I found the flavors to be more subdued than Riwaka.

I've got my name in for 2 Lbs Riwaka on my LHBS next NZ hop order.

Sorachi is nice...
Jul 3rd, 2012
3:42 pm
I was pretty excited to see both Motueka and Sorachi, it was a big score, and I only got some because I had them put aside some for me. They didnt' have riwaka but i'd like to try that too, especially if this turnes out well. What was Motueka like by itself? I hear it has a spicy and lemon/lime flavor to it, and has some tropical fruit.

I also was going to try nelson savign, but I'll leave that to another beer. I've really enjoyed that hop in commercial beers,
Author: redbrew
Jul 3rd, 2012
7:19 pm
I am formulating a recipe now to try out my Galaxy hops. Cant wait to try them.
Author: CharlieHorse
Jul 3rd, 2012
7:41 pm
I tried them in an IPA and loved them so much that I bought the inventory at one of the "local" HBSs (it's still an hour from the house).
Author: Rex_Irae
Jul 3rd, 2012
7:51 pm
Buddy of mine made a rye PA with Sorachi. Good stuff; not as lemony as I would have expected.

As far as NZ hops go, I like the Pac Gem. It's a high-alpha British-style for bittering. Good stuff.
Jul 5th, 2012
4:12 pm
I hear pac jem is great stuff too. I'd like to do several smashes with some of those NZ hops in each one. I could see these hops being interesting compliments to American and british varieties in Ipas and other american styles too.
Jul 5th, 2012
4:26 pm
I got some green bullet too. Supposed to be lemon/lime type of flavor. I was going to mix them with the calypso that I have.
Jul 5th, 2012
4:39 pm
Yeah I've read about that one too. Let me know how that is. It sounds similar to Motueka. I could see these styles making some interesting sours and belgian beers too. A dry hopped NZ sour would be amazing.
Jul 5th, 2012
4:51 pm
I can't find the other thread but I've done a smash with quite a few of these NZ hops, I'm impressed by all of them so far. They're all bred off noble varieties but got a nice little twist to them! I put my tasting notes in that thread though...
Jul 5th, 2012
4:53 pm
Cool. I'm sure I can find it. Thanks. Favorite so far? I've had Nelson a few times and I'd go with that one, but there are several I havent' tried.
Author: dnfd737
Jul 7th, 2012
11:53 pm
I was unable to get any Galaxy in my supplier just got the nz in and I need to wait until next week to see what I can get.......I was looking for Pacific Jade or Moteuka but Watuka and Riwaka looked really interesting too, I can only bring in one variety but which one? Availibility plays a big roll too. What I do know is some are the same aroma/flavor wise as Hallertau and cascade so there is no real point in bringing them in.
Jul 8th, 2012
2:28 am
found em!

Green Bulllet fruity with subtle spiciness, use as bittering
Southern Cross soft lemon/lime kinda flavor, saaz like spiciness, very clean bitterness.
Motueka Lemon-Lime, Tropical Fruit and Spice
NZ Hallertauer Aroma very restrained floral character,atop an aroma of freshly-zested lime?
NZ Cascade citrusy, almost grapefruit like, with some tropical fruit and a slightly spicy finish
NZ Pacific Jade at first not so much citrus, but got the spice. After it aged, more citrusy came thru and spice disappeared. Good for bittering.
NZ Pacifica reminds of hallertauer, citrus very subtle but good floral
NZ Nelson Sauvin Kind of a harsh bitterness but nice grape like/white wine fruitiness in the flavor.
NZ Sticklebrac description say 'pine like aroma' I barely get that but there is a sweet fruitiness to it

I think the ones I like the most are Southern Cross and Motueka, but I do like them all... I just did another NZ mix test batch yesterday; Pacific Jade, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin
Jul 9th, 2012
4:42 pm
Very cool, I see enless possibilities to these hops. Belgian beers, sours, and interesting lagers to name a few. Then you can mix these with other hops for ipas, or for added complexity to normal styles within reason. I am really interested to see what motueka is like. I used a good amount of sorachi ace with it, so I don't know that it will come through as much as the sorachi .
Jul 11th, 2012
4:15 pm
I added an ounce of loose leaf sorachi to each fermenter yesterday. The smell was amazing! Def. some lemon zest but I am surprised how spicy and normal smelling they are too. Reminds me of hallertau or something. I have high hopes for both beers.
Jul 31st, 2012
7:02 pm
Hey guys, had my first sampling of this beer last night (the kegged version w/wlp565). This hop combination turned out great, and the beer still has retained a good soft malt background and enough residual sweetness and body to balance the high dryness. This one finished at 1.003, so I was happy with the reportedly stubborn yeast strain. If you guys can get hold of motueka or sorachi I highly recommend them, this one is a keeper for me and a great summer seasonal in my lineup. I would maybe increase the wheat portion for even more softness and mouthfeel, but everything else is pretty spot on. I'd maybe balance the hop additions more evenly as well as far as having an equal portion of sorachi and another NZ tropical-type hop throughout the boil and for DH.
Jul 31st, 2012
7:47 pm
Very nice! so what comes through more the sorachi or moetuka? and maybe instead of increasing the wheat use flaked barley next time?
Jul 31st, 2012
9:41 pm
Yeah I thought about flaked barley or flaked oats, but i like the mellow, soft character of malted german wheat for this beer. The appearance is nice and clear and crisp as well, without the extra beta glucans. I know, more of a frill than a necessity, but I'm sharing a lot of this one so I like the look to be nice. The sorachi character of this one is huge, based on the descriptions of it anyway. This beer has a good yeast character that shines though, but a good amount of the flavor is lemongrass and spiciness from the hops. I really can't pick out the motueka much yet, but again, I dont' have much to compare it too. I could see this same beer being a good platform for playing with dry hopping and NZ or other rarer hop varieties.
Jul 31st, 2012
10:49 pm
I get alot of lemon/lime from moetuka and as it aged more of the spice and fruitiness came out. so far all those NZ changed flavor as they aged.
Aug 1st, 2012
4:50 pm
I used Motueka for FWH, and I can recognize a lemon lime flavor in my beer. It's hard to know what's motueka and what's sorachi, I probably should have isolated them. Nonetheless, it's a great beer and I'll continue doing a summer saison with similar hops and hopping schedules each year. The balance is perfect. I could maybe up the dry hop addition by an ounce or so, but it smells great.
Author: brewboy_BB
Aug 1st, 2012
4:56 pm
I squeeze lemon in my wheat beers and I recognize a lemon flavor.
Aug 1st, 2012
5:03 pm
When my lemons get squeezed, the juice runs down my leg!
Aug 1st, 2012
5:05 pm
Damn, I should have seen that one "coming".
Aug 1st, 2012
5:08 pm
yeah not a bad way to go... I normally dont' fruit my beers though. MAN LAW! The Sorachis really are a unique hop though, it's like a mix of lemon zest, lemongrass, and faint pine sol, but not in an unpleasant way. Definitely not your American C hops.
Aug 1st, 2012
5:09 pm
I may have to try that variety sometime.
Aug 1st, 2012
5:30 pm
I have a brew lined up that is taking forever to get to, but I'll use sorachi and simcoe.
Aug 1st, 2012
6:19 pm
I see simcoe and sorachi in a few recipes together, I bet that'd be a good match. Do you guys have them availabel in your area? I had a hard time getting some and I dont' think the ones I used were super fresh, but they still retained a good amount of flavor and aroma.
Aug 1st, 2012
6:26 pm
simcoe is avail, sorachi has been a tough one to get locally...
Aug 1st, 2012
6:29 pm
Man, I gotta start doing more research on the southern hemisphere hops. Most reviews I have read about them have been good.
Aug 1st, 2012
6:35 pm
Yeah so far so good, I really like the ones i've tried. Nelson Sauvign has been awesome to me every time I've tried it. Very unique.
Aug 1st, 2012
6:41 pm
I got a bastardized version of Jamils Evil Twin going with galaxy hops in it. Its been fermenting for three weeks now and I hope to remember to get off my ass and dry hop it next week.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.