Home » Forum » New to Brewing Register | Login
Subject: New to Brewing
Author: BandBrew
Jul 1st, 2012
4:37 pm
Hi all,
I am definately new to the art of beer making and would like to know of any recommended books (from your experiences) that can explain the entire process, types of beers, ingredients, and equipment.

Also, I have been using my Mr. Beer kit (I know not a professional system but still cool for a newbie) for almost 6 months and would like to upgrade to a more professional system so I can experiment. Does anyone have anything to say about he Blickman Tower of Power or the new WilliamsWarn personal brewery (coming to the US in Oct)?

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks.
Subject: Re: New to Brewing
Author: brewboy_BB
Jul 1st, 2012
4:50 pm
Here's everything you need and it's all online for free:

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Anything else you need, just pop in here and we will help.

Welcome to the hobby and to Tastybrew.
Author: EricHa
Jul 1st, 2012
5:40 pm
Designing Great Beers is another good book.

The williamswarn is a nifty concept, but way over priced and IMO complicates the process. tower of power hasn't been out that long, I haven't seen any opinons/reviews of it yet.. but all it is is a brain to automate the process, HERMs I believe. If you haven't brewed yet, go simple to start, make sure you like it then start building up to a better system... you may find thru your own research/experiences that you want a RIMs system... or just stick with a gravity beer tree system...
Author: dnfd737
Jul 1st, 2012
6:56 pm
Home Brewing for Dummies is where I started. It is excellent in that it starts with extract only and works up to all grain.

IMO you will be better off if you start out all grain, its easier than you think it would be, it gives you more options on flavor, and its more fun.
Jul 1st, 2012
8:14 pm
"IMO you will be better off if you start out all grain, its easier than you think it would be, it gives you more options on flavor, and its more fun. "

I agree. That's what I would do if I had it to do over.
Jul 1st, 2012
10:16 pm
Thanks for the link to the Ebook on this site for the information brewboy! It looks comprehensive and awesome! I also just got back from Borders and purchased the "Home Brewing for Dummies." As for some of the acrynyms, I don't know what they mean...HERMS/RIMS/& IMO. I guess I'll know more after all the reading...but for now...I guess I proved I'm a newbie! Thanks to all of you for responding with advice and ideas.

Jul 1st, 2012
10:46 pm
*google* - use it often!
Jul 1st, 2012
11:48 pm
That was helpful...WA
Author: WApilot
Jul 2nd, 2012
1:25 am
Welcome indeed....it's all downhill from here
Author: erkoll
Jul 2nd, 2012
1:37 am
careful its more addicting than drinking then it turns around "the circle of life"
Author: brewkid
Jul 2nd, 2012
6:18 am
AG all the way, dude. it may seem complicated but its worth the research. HOWEVER. extracts are NOT a bad thing. make sure you're familliar with them as well.

"welcome to the hobby and to tastybrew"

Agreed. exept i'm sure you'll find its more of an addiction than a hobby.
Author: BryansBrew
Jul 2nd, 2012
2:59 pm
there ya go:

http://kotmf.com/articles/acronyms.php

gotta pimp my site
Author: redbrew
Jul 2nd, 2012
10:00 pm
wrong thread
Jul 6th, 2012
4:57 pm
Does anyone have any recommended online sites to purchase the various ingredients in bulk (grain, yeasts, hopps, etc)? Also, seems like there are a lot of brewing equipment companies out there, any advice in recommended companies and those to stay away from is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jul 6th, 2012
5:13 pm
I like austinhomebrew.com and northernbrewer.com
There's a lot of newer, smaller places that people also seem to like. Rebel Brewer?
Some people like morebeer.com but I've had bad experiences. Though if you're in Cali, the shipping would be quicker.

equipment... most of the stuff you can build on your own. And kettles can be generic. I like the ones (the kettles, that is!) with the thicker bottoms. But if you have and WANT to spend a lot of money, I like the blichmann line of products - kettles, fermentors, burners, plate chillers...

there's lots of specialty places especially for hops. Kinda just have to google through and see who has what you need for the best price.
Jul 6th, 2012
5:24 pm
I like thick bottoms too!
I've heard rebel brewer compared to being the 'walmart' of homebrew shops...
Midwest and Williams are 2 more online stores. Morebeer too!
Jul 6th, 2012
5:41 pm
Morebeer sucks!

Midwest is good. Haven't purchased from Austin in a while, but they used to have flat rate shipping.

I like round bottoms.
Jul 6th, 2012
6:12 pm
small and round

BandBrew - what area are you in? that can have some bearing on things.

ya, williams is good, too.

I started shopping with Austin because they had all the stuff (mainly hops) in one place. I tried ordering from the other big guys and at the time, they didn't have this or that and I would have had to split up my order and pay shipping twice.

Like I said- it depends what you're looking to buy.
Jul 6th, 2012
7:03 pm
I have had good luck with northernbrewer.com. They dont ship to APO addresses so I use labelpeelers.com. I have to use extracts and they always seem to have dme on sale. I last bought 3 lbs of light dme for $7.95. And they have a better selection of hops than Northern Brewer.
Author: CharlieHorse
Jul 6th, 2012
7:36 pm
Dang Red, I thought that labelpeelers was a service that was a proxy-shipper so that you couldhave something shipped there, and they would ship to APOs. You had my wheels turning for a business idea.
Jul 6th, 2012
7:38 pm
I thought the same thing.
Author: CharlieHorse
Jul 6th, 2012
8:11 pm
Dave, you're retired so that might be a business that you could get into to help our service men and women who like to homebrew.
Jul 6th, 2012
8:23 pm
I have thought about getting into the kegging/equipment side of brewing. I don't really like the idea of dealing with perishable items.
Jul 6th, 2012
9:21 pm
I put morebeer there just for you dave!
Jul 6th, 2012
9:24 pm
I appreciate that.
Jul 7th, 2012
12:10 pm
For grain and yeast I go with Northernbrewer.com For equipment I mostly go with midwest and of co2 for my tap a draft I go to williasbrewsuply.

oh the absolute best price and cheapest shipping combined I buy from www.atonofhops.com buy bulk hops or plan several batches. They sell by the ounce and have various discounts.
Author: Dunkelbier
Jul 7th, 2012
2:36 pm
dnfd737 - LMAO....I use that same outfit for hops. I'm just not sure about the two guys that run it.
Jul 7th, 2012
6:12 pm
I am not sure about them either.....but service is fast and hops are cheap, there is a rumor about them soon having NZ hops.....I can't wait!
Jul 7th, 2012
7:26 pm
Sure does seem to be alot of interest in New Zealand and Australian hops. Cant wait to try them soon.
Jul 7th, 2012
7:53 pm
With the semi sudden intrest in new hops, ie not american german or english flavors, the hop growers were some what forced to develop new hops. With the self imposed shortages(read as we grow less than the demand to raise the prices) us brewers are forced to look in diffrent directions. Galaxy from Austrailia is a direct replacement for citra, IMO there is no diffrence in the two as far as aroma or flavor go. Pacific Jade is an orange citrus and pepper flavor, do not think pepper is a bad thing its more of a spicy flavor great for wits. Moteuka has a lemon lime citrus flavor again great for wit all of the above would be great in an ipa.

The Au,Nz thing is a mid season refreshing assortment of flavors that can stand in when american greed substitutes crop volumes for money.
Jul 7th, 2012
7:58 pm
"read as we grow less than the demand to raise the prices"

WOW between growing less and Negative Nellies like Denny running around shouting hop shortage, prices will surely skyrocket.
Author: DConn
Jul 7th, 2012
8:05 pm
You give me too much credit. I have nothing to do with hop prices. I just repeat what growers and wholesalers tell me.
Jul 7th, 2012
8:09 pm
We can never give you too much credit Denny. . You never chime in on the New Zealand or Austrailian hops. Are you boycotting them or just not that interested?
Jul 7th, 2012
8:15 pm
And all this time I thought there was a Denny farm report at 5 AM everyday on the Eugene public radio channel.

If they ever get caught talking about limiting supplies, they're in deep doo doo.
Jul 7th, 2012
8:27 pm
I've brewed with a few of the NZ varieties and had beers brewed with several others. I like some of them, but a lot that I've checked out just don't appeal to me. At NHC, Stan Hieronymous gave a great talk on the future of hops and how the crops are currently doing. Several new varieties (some based on American varieties crossed with German varieties) being developed in Germany that look really interesting. Simcoe acreage has been drastically increased here in the US. Mosaic and Eldorado are a couple upcoming varieties that seem really promising.
Jul 7th, 2012
11:44 pm
Mosaic? What was the alpha numeric code for that?

As far as shortages I only post what I have been told by my supliers. The really big one claims shortages all the time, The good name in hops says shortages happen because people want it to, more likely. Now weather will play some role in this, for example the distributer will plan a fake"20% shortage" but then the crop really does come in short due to mold/mildew or just out right low production, then they add the real percentage to the fake percentage and end up with a 40% short crop.....oh gee what a surprise.......then add upon this the numberous breweries opening every year and subsuppliers claiming up to 20% of the real crop its no wonder when I buy hops some go for as high as $16 a pound or more my price, add to that shipping and its no wonder some hops go for almost $2 an ounce.......anything more than that I say look else where, even the most expensive hop all cost included should never breach the $2 mark.......at least for this year. If they do look me up I can do better if I can get the hops in.

Dconn is right on his comments, some hops just do not appeal to me either so I just dont use them, I sell them though as some folks do like them. Its all in personal taste.
Jul 7th, 2012
11:56 pm
IIRC, Mosaic was 366. But until I have a chance to go over the notes from Stan's seminar I'm not positive.
Jul 8th, 2012
1:33 am
ok thanks

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.