Home » Forum » 21% ABV? Register | Login
Subject: 21% ABV?
Author: willfish4beer
Jun 29th, 2012
5:37 pm
while doing some web surfing, i ran into this recipe on the BYO website. has anybody tried this? i thought it was nucking futz! then my eyes started to look back and forth from the monitor, out the window and back. like a cat chasing a laser. this might be put into a side brewing project but want to know if anyone on here has attempted this or something similar.

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/112-specialty-a-experimental-beer/2310--cause-of-death
Subject: Re: 21% ABV?
Author: BryansBrew
Jun 29th, 2012
5:43 pm
wow. Ya, I haven't brewed anything over 10%. No really reason why- I just haven't.

I've thought about making something like this. What I'd do is combine two no-sparge mashes to get a decent starting gravity.
Boil that down.

Add a good tasting yeast (ie NOT 099) with a good starter.

Let that ferment mostly out. Thn add cane sugar (disolved, boiled) to up the gravity and reduce body. Let that ferment.
Dump the yeast and then use the wlp099 from a fresh starter. Let that ferment and age out.

No need for beano most likely.
Author: JoePostma
Jun 29th, 2012
5:53 pm
I agree with the no-beano. You'll be stripping out the complex sugars you need to back up the huge alcohol.

I've heard of one technique where you add sugars throughout the fermentation. It could be simple sugar or higher gravity wort, but basically the idea is to not hit the yeast with a 1.140 wort right off the bat, just ease them into it. I've never tried it myself, but someone told me this is how Dogfish does World Wide Stout and 120 minute IPA.
Author: MMMBREW
Jun 29th, 2012
5:53 pm
Yeah I thought the beano is a little out of place too. I think you can do these types of beers without that kinda thing. I recenlty sampled a brewer's 120 minute Ipa clone, and it was awesome. He said it was around 18% when I tried it, but i'd gauge it to be pretty close to the original. I know quite a few who have tried it with less success.

I think incremental sugar feeding is the way to go too. I've done this to lower gravity belgian beers with great success, and I could see it working for a super high gravity beer too. It keeps that yeast active and strong, while not overwhelming it all at once with a huge task.

The strongest beer i made was an imperial raspberry stout I calculated to be about 13.5%. It tasted pretty good but was extremely boozy. I'd like to try something stronger and attempt to master the deceptive alcohol content that many pro breweries are so good at hiding. Avery always has a smoothe alcohol burn in their monsters, and it blows me away every time.
Author: EricHa
Jun 29th, 2012
6:18 pm
some breweries have added yeast and O2 daily for big beers too.
Jun 29th, 2012
6:20 pm
Oh yeah, O2 is a big part of the incremental feeding. The yeast would be key. Either not stalling or having it be a rocket fule beer. It would be tough. I'd like to do an impy stout like mephistophles.
Author: dnfd737
Jun 29th, 2012
7:47 pm
There is a super high gravity yeast that will do this just fine. I have made a 16% and it takes some time, lots more time than you would think. Beano will help get you there but it is not needed.
Author: willfish4beer
Jun 29th, 2012
8:53 pm
i was thinking about not using beano, you guys just enforced it. any recommendations for yeast?
Author: EricHa
Jun 29th, 2012
9:16 pm
I would say use whatever yeast you like and fits the style you want, however, you're going to need a big starter and possible more starters to add throughout the fermentation...
Jun 29th, 2012
9:23 pm
The only yeast I'm aware of that has that high of alcohol is the wlp 099 super high gravity yeast. It is a beast and can ferment really strong beers. I've used it once and it mowed through a ton of raspberries and plenty of remaining maltose.
Author: spargebag
Jun 29th, 2012
11:18 pm
Or u could do like brewdog & keep freezing it & scraping off the ice.
Author: BryansBrew
Jul 2nd, 2012
3:18 pm
scotch ale yeast and some of the belgian yeasts are pretty alcohol tolerant. I would use that with a big starter and lots of oxygen. Then 099 later (due to it's less than favorable flavor profile). And if that still doesn't get you to your FG, you can try some non-beer yeasts. Perhaps champagne.
Author: brewkid
Jul 3rd, 2012
7:25 pm
you could use that super yeast xpress stuff. They have it at my LHBS and it apparently its designed to go up to 20% in 2 weeks. having never tried it I wouldn't know what the results are. I've never gone over 12 and I don't really want to.
Author: Rex_Irae
Jul 3rd, 2012
8:08 pm
I feed my meads incrementally to keep from straining the yeast too much.
I use a red wine yeast though, and those things are a bit different.
Still, I like to keep the gravity less than 1.070.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.