Home » Forum » know what i hate? Register | Login
Subject: know what i hate?
Author: scarylarry
Jun 22nd, 2012
1:13 pm
when you invite some friends over to show them your new bar and deck
and they sponge all your beer. last night i went down to have a pint of my house beer,
got a half a glass and it started sputtering. that's such a downer sound.
i guess i know what i'm doing this weekend.
Subject: Re: know what i hate?
Author: CharlieHorse
Jun 22nd, 2012
1:16 pm
I hear ya. I've been nice to a few people at work and brought them a bottle of what ever my latest brew was, now I'm getting requests. Seriously. That's one of the reasons that I switched to kegging.
Jun 22nd, 2012
1:18 pm
i guess i should be happy they like it.
Jun 22nd, 2012
1:26 pm
pretty much what I think.
Author: brewboy_BB
Jun 22nd, 2012
2:24 pm
I "like" it when I tell people my stock is a getting low and they look at me and say. "well just brew some more", as if it was like making a pot of coffee.
Jun 22nd, 2012
2:34 pm
They also think that because you make it, it's free.
Author: EricHa
Jun 22nd, 2012
2:53 pm
I concider giving my beer to my friends my 'friendship dues'...
Jun 22nd, 2012
3:16 pm
bb i agree with you. i had one friend brew with me one time and that
changed his view.
Author: MMMBREW
Jun 22nd, 2012
3:46 pm
Yes this happens all the time to me too. I'ts like: FREE BEER! I don't get it. A buddy and I put a jar out at a party once and got like, 12 bucks or something for beer fees. At least that covered the hops or something. I'm happy to give out free beer, but it's somewhat bothersome to see people pour 3 or 4 beers for themself and not even say thank you or make a comment on your beer. What kegger that you've been to hasnt' charged at least 5 bucks for a keg cup?
Jun 22nd, 2012
3:58 pm
I have to admit that I really enjoy the brewing process and I get a lot of pleasure from people deriving enjoyment from it. I enjoy cooking for the same reason. The difference is that if I make a pot of gumbo the half the size of a batch of homebrew, folks assume that it took me all day (we're only talking a couple of hours, with only about 30 minutes of actual work), Hell, it might take me that long just to bottle a batch, between sanitizing and clean up. We really need to find a way to evalgalize that yes, it's a very rewarding hobby, but it's not as quick as going to the local package store and picking up a 12 pack of BMC. Now, I'm not complaining, I thoroughly enjoy each and every step and find the chemistry and biology involved in brew facinating. I just think that if folks understood how much work goes into a batch, they would appriciated it a it more.
Jun 22nd, 2012
4:06 pm
i just return the favor and swill their beer when i'm over at their house
Author: BryansBrew
Jun 22nd, 2012
4:52 pm
It's a catch 22.

That used to be my situation - I'd brew and my friends would come over and drink it all.

Now, all of my friends, inspired by my beers, homebrew (seriously- ALL except one). So they all have beer, are busy brewing, and they rarely come over. I have to finish the majority of 5G batches on my own (and no, it doesn't suck). That means I don't have to brew as much; but my beer variety and variety of company is pretty much null.

So... be careful what you wish for!

Jun 22nd, 2012
4:55 pm
Friends don't let friends brew alone.
Author: Dunkelbier
Jun 22nd, 2012
4:55 pm
Charlie - I'm with you. I enjoy the process and enjoy seeing friends derive enjoyment from my beer. I gave my boy's two best friends dads a 220z each for 'Happy Father's day' gifts. It was just a neighborly gesture, I know they'll enjoy them and are trained to send the empty bottles back.
Author: Jeff_in_PDX
Jun 24th, 2012
6:20 pm
One of the best ways to get affirmation that your brewing is good is to have friends taste it. I brew a lot of beer for this very reason. For me, there's no better way to spend a Friday evening than serving some pulled pork and baby back ribs and giving my friends carte blanche to my kegerator. It's why I brew. When I get the unsolicited feedback on the different beers, it makes me happy to know my hard work paid off. I currently have six flavors in my kegerator, and I could never drink all that! Sharing is what makes it all worthwhile to me. Just my $0.02...

P.S. I also get to taste a lot of good scotches and bourbons, as well as cigars, because my friends always bring the 'after dinner' stuff to the party! Tit-for-tat.
Author: erkoll
Jun 26th, 2012
1:06 am
brew so much that when u have 28 corney kegs u cheer when one blows . eliminates the stress
Author: geezerpk
Jun 26th, 2012
12:16 pm
I enjoy sharing my homebrew with friends or acquaintances, but find it annoying that some/many fail to give me either feedback or bottles-back or both.
Author: mtyquinn
Jun 26th, 2012
1:30 pm
Sharing is part of the hobby for me. Love feedback although I'm always a bit skeptical of feedback from friends or family. Watching a keg go down quick is one of the few factors I really trust as to whether or not people really enjoy the beer.
Author: bgjohnston
Jun 26th, 2012
3:28 pm
I enjoy the sharing, too, and +1 for all the expensive bottles, spirits, food, etc. the friends pony up when they come over.

An idea that seems to be working out pretty well is everybody brings bottles of stuff they like, and I brew clones or similar beers for the next get-together. Of course, they have to bring them again for side-by-side comparison...
Jun 26th, 2012
3:59 pm
Don't get me wrong I really enjoy feedback as well, and I easily give out over 25-50% of my homebrew to friends, family and neighbors. The only thing that bothers me is when people are gulping down one after the other and not even offering to pay a few bucks or even mentioning anything about the beer. I've served kegs at a couple weddings and several parties, and there is always a guy or two pounding 5 beers and then leaving. Free craft beer eh? Why not!
Jun 26th, 2012
4:42 pm
"I've served kegs at a couple weddings and several parties, and there is always a guy or two pounding 5 beers and then leaving."

Those are the same guys that always seem to be in the restroom, when the single tab, for a large table, comes due. Or they stack up the accumulation of cash tips, as if to count it, and then place in front of their plate.
Author: EricHa
Jun 26th, 2012
8:59 pm
ah, I see you've all met those chodes too!
Jun 26th, 2012
9:25 pm
haha yeah and that same guy is prob a raiders fan.... And Is the guy that ducks when a ball is hit into the stands and lets it hit an old lady.
Jun 26th, 2012
9:31 pm
Or worse, the guy that reaches over the wall to catch a baseball when the fielder is trying to catch it for the last out, with the playoffs in the line for the hometeam. (Steve Bartman)
Jul 1st, 2012
2:27 am
MMMBREW - Hey now! While I recognize that a disproportionate number of Raider fans draw disability checks, let's not go crazy. As a Raiders fan, I find that the 40-whiner fans are much more likely to skip out on their share of a check. Must be all that wine and cheese.....

Charlie - lmao - the most hated man in all of Chicago Cubie-dom!
Author: folly
Jul 1st, 2012
3:00 am
Some of my friends just drink the beer, some bring scotch and cigars for later. Guess who gets more beer?
Author: Heath
Jul 1st, 2012
3:03 pm
Que George Thorogood's "I Drink Alone"
Jul 1st, 2012
5:11 pm
Heath - I hate to say it, but that's me and I have an excuse. LOL I have primary custody of my son, so the last thing I need/want is to have friends over and waking him up after he goes to bed. I wouldn't trade it for the world!
Jul 1st, 2012
5:13 pm
I never drink alone. My dogs follow me everywhere.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.