Home » Forum » Draft question Register | Login
Subject: Draft question
Author: CharlieHorse
Jun 20th, 2012
2:11 pm
I recently scored a kegorator and have started kegging (the first keg in on tap) and I used forced carbonation by getting the keg (and contents) cold and cranking the preasure to about 25-30 PSI, for a few hours. I then agitated the keg. The beer is cabonated, but there is zero head. What can I do next time so that there's a head on my beer?
Subject: Re: Draft question
Author: Langeneckert
Jun 20th, 2012
2:21 pm
Has to do with the protein content of your beer. More protein, more head retention.
Jun 20th, 2012
2:27 pm
It was my first all grain brew, so the probability of screwing that up is pretty high.
Author: Jonathan
Jun 20th, 2012
2:52 pm
Charlie,

What did you use to clean the lines (if you didn't replace) and the faucet? I suspect that any residue from some soap product could be killing the head as well.
Jun 20th, 2012
2:55 pm
I cleaned the keg with PBW, and rinsed with SanStar. I replaced all of the lines, shank and faucet since the kegorator had been well used, but not well cleaned. There's a good chance that I didn't get everything rinsed well enough. I guess I need to be a bit more exact on the rinse.
Author: DarthRaider
Jun 20th, 2012
3:16 pm
I have noticed that as the beer is forced carbed, it will be carbed, but not have the best head, but after a few days at serving pressure the head gets better and has always been just right for my set-up. PBW followed by sanstar flush should be fine.
Author: scarylarry
Jun 20th, 2012
8:36 pm
i find the same results as darth. the head gets better the longer the beer sits
at serving pressure.
Author: mtyquinn
Jun 20th, 2012
8:41 pm
+1 to Darth and Scary.
Quick carb works but I've noticed that letting a beer come up to serving pressure over a week gets better results.
Author: EricHa
Jun 20th, 2012
9:25 pm
I find the head gets better the longer we drink together...
Author: Dunkelbier
Jun 20th, 2012
11:51 pm
The head is better when she starts to.....oh never mind....
Author: brewboy_BB
Jun 21st, 2012
12:29 am
I keep thinking this is about the military.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.