Home » Forum » Mash Tun Dead Space Register | Login
Subject: Mash Tun Dead Space
Author: CharlieHorse
Jun 19th, 2012
7:50 pm
I recently moved over to All-grain using Igloo's Marine Ulta 48 quart (http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+MARINE+ULTRA+48), and I noticed that they is a BUNCH of deadspace (about 2-3 quarts). Have any of you ever used something like Teflon cutting boards to try to take up some of that dead space? I was thinking that might work, but I wasn't sure.
Subject: Re: Mash Tun Dead Space
Author: Jonathan
Jun 19th, 2012
8:09 pm
Charlie, what are you referring to as "dead space"? Any way you can provide pictures? If it is just some sort of space between your manifold or braid and the bottom of the cooler, I don't think that is a problem. People who use a false bottom have space between the bottom of the tun and where the wort is drawn from.
Author: goschman
Jun 19th, 2012
8:13 pm
I have a false bottom which creates about 2 qts of dead space as well. You just have to account for this space for your total water needed
Author: CharlieHorse
Jun 19th, 2012
8:14 pm
I've notice a bunch of liquid still in the cooler when I'm done sparging. In other words, if I scoop out the spent grain, there's a couple of quarts left. Should I just not worry and add more water at the mash?
Author: EricHa
Jun 19th, 2012
8:29 pm
Yep! What goschman said.
Author: brewboy_BB
Jun 19th, 2012
8:31 pm
Tilt your tun.

This is what I do and I leave it that way through out the boil. I've collected as much as a gallon by letting it drip. Great for future starters.

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee330/brushycreek/P1000732.jpg

I'm BrewBoy and I AM a TunTilter.
Author: MMMBREW
Jun 19th, 2012
8:32 pm
I use a washer coil (aka worthog) to drain my liquid for the lauter. I placed this in a large rectangular mash tun (50 qts I beleive) and I have a large amount of dead space as well. I have considered installing a divider for smaller brews so that I can push the coil into one side of the tun in order to maximize the space. But, you can also add more water like the other guys mentioned.
Author: kew4
Jun 20th, 2012
12:27 am
I personally never saw any good in dead space, I personally use a Bottling bucket, I went out and bought a cheap strainer, the same size as the inside of the bucket, put it in and dumb the grains and wort into it. I then add the amount of sparge water into a second spigot bucket and sparge. when the sparge water is done and the spigot is low I tilt it and gain all the goodness. I usually have to leave behind maybe a pint. and when I'm done I carry the grains away and toss them into the garden. clean and rinse and so on.
Author: Dunkelbier
Jun 20th, 2012
1:57 am
I use a simple wooden cleat to tilt the MT and get more out of it.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.