Home » Forum » Delerium Tremens clone Register | Login
Subject: Delerium Tremens clone
Author: JCallicoat13
Jun 6th, 2012
2:49 am
I'm fairly new to brewing and wanted to try this Delerium Tremens clone recipe in the near future. I've never seen a recipe call for adding a second dose of the same yeast strain 3 days before bottling. Has anyone tried this who could comment on what I can expect? Also, I'm assuming this is for a 5 gallon batch, but the recipe doesn't actually say. Can anyone confirm this?

Here's the full recipe:

Delerium Tremens clone
OG: 1.084
SG: 1.013
SRM: 7
IBU: 26
ABV: 9.1%

Extract:
7oz. German Munich Malt
5oz. Belgian Biscuit malt
3oz. Belgian Aromatic
7.5lbs Extra Light DME
1.5lbs Belgian Clear Candi Sugar
1lb Invert Sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup)
1.5oz. Styrian Goldings (60 min)
.25oz. Styrian Goldings (15min)
.25oz. Czech Saaz (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15min)
.25oz. Czech Saaz (4 min)
.25tsp. Grains of Paradise (4 min)
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale or Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

Steep Grains at 150 degrees for 30 minutes. Strain and Sparge grains with 150 degree water. Bring to boil, remove from heat, add DME, candi sugar, inver sugar and Styrian Goldings hops (1.5oz.) Bring to boil add additional ingredients as noted...
Primary - 7 days
Secondary - 4-6 weeks
Bottle condition - 4-6 weeks

Add fresh dose of same strain yeast 3 days before bottling.
Bottle with 1/2 cup Corn sugar and 1/3 cup Clear Candi Sugar, boiled in 2 cups water for 10 minutes
Subject: Re: Delerium Tremens clone
Author: BryansBrew
Jun 6th, 2012
11:50 am
>I've never seen a recipe call for adding a second dose of the same yeast strain 3 days before bottling.

The theory behind that is that big (strong) beers will have tired out if not killed the yeast, so adding fresh yeast will ensure the bottles get carbonated fully and quickly.

I've never had an issue with yeast not carbonating in the bottle. I think it's a waste of time and resources, personally. It won't hurt, though. Depends how paranoid you are.
Author: brewboy_BB
Jun 6th, 2012
12:07 pm
I think "tired yeast" is another brewing myth.
Author: Greenebrew
Jun 6th, 2012
1:39 pm
I've had bottles not carbonate fully, if you are going to condition for a month or more (or even about 2 weeks) you should put some fresh yeast in as most will have fallen out of suspension. Aslo, DT supposedly uses something like 3 different yeasts (unless I am crazy and making that up but i think its true), I think 1214 is the best match but you need at least 3 packs or 2 with a starter so you could try a combo.
Author: DConn
Jun 6th, 2012
2:59 pm
Tired yeast isn't a myth, but it's also not as prevalent as people seem to think. If you have an 1.100+ BW in the fermenter for 6+ months, yeah, the yeast will be tired. But if it's a 1.080 beer that's been in the fermenter a few weeks, there should be no problems.
Author: EricHa
Jun 6th, 2012
3:06 pm
I can tell you that after the weekend I had, this yeast cell is tired!
Author: brewboy_BB
Jun 6th, 2012
4:58 pm
Denny, maybe your yeast isn't tired, as much as it is bored.
Author: MMMBREW
Jun 6th, 2012
6:28 pm
I have to agree that tired yeast is not a theory, and I've experienced it first hand a few times. Beers that have been aged a while (secondary or primary) can poop out, and also high gravity beers. I have used wlp530 a few times on stronger quads that have been really sluggish or failed to carbonate completely. a half pack of safale yeast sprinkled into the bottling bucket works wonders and doesn't leave any negative taste.
Author: BryansBrew
Jun 6th, 2012
7:58 pm
It's much more common in commercial settings. The geometry and size of the tanks put pressure (literally) on the yeast. Once again (much like the pitching calculator), homebrew situations don't always translate. Like DC mentions, if you have a BW (or any beer) in the fermentor for 6 months, the yeast will be tired. But that's not a very common situation- especially with a belgian.

80/20 rule. or more like the 95/5 rule. 95% of the time, you won't need to add fresh yeast.
Jun 6th, 2012
8:03 pm
Yes, I agree. The pressure is a good example. I know that many Belgian breweries use a different bottling strain than the primary fermentation strain. Others, like some german breweries, Krausen their beer before bottling. In that scenario It is probably not because of stressed yeast, just a way to carbonate. Wlp 530 seems to always quite on me towards the end.
Author: JCallicoat13
Jun 7th, 2012
2:01 am
Thanks for the help everyone!
Jun 11th, 2012
3:11 pm
I had this beer this weekend, and man! what a great belgian brew! It had been a while for me. It was interesting to see that it was darker in color than I remember, so it would make sense that they add more specialty malts than many golden ales. I really enjoyed the spice character matched with the yeast. I think if you can balance those aspects as well as dry this one it it will be great! Keep us posted JCalli.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.