Home » Forum » Danstar Munich Yeast Question Register | Login
Subject: Danstar Munich Yeast Question
Author: Mark_Hardner
Jun 3rd, 2012
12:04 pm
I am brewing a wheat beer today and I plan to use Danstar Munich yeast. The instructions say to re-hydrate before pitching. I have been directly pitching most dry yeasts I use these days. Does anyone know if the Danstar Munich will work well when pitched directly to the wort?
Subject: Re: Danstar Munich Yeast Question
Author: brewboy_BB
Jun 3rd, 2012
12:10 pm
It should be fine. I think all dry yeast packets instruct you to re-hydrate before pitching.

On the other hand, re-hydration is very easy to do. I used to take a Pyrex measuring cup with about 4 ozs of water, covered loosely with plastic food wrap and microwaved it for a couple of minutes. I'd then secure the wrap and place it in my fridge. In few minutes the, water temp was within pitching range.
Author: dnfd737
Jun 3rd, 2012
12:54 pm
Being a huge danstar fan that I am, Munich is a very slow starter even when rehydrated. I hve gotten way better results when using a 1 quart starter. But yeah by all means it is better to rehydrate the yeast.
Jun 3rd, 2012
1:00 pm
OMG!!!! you made a starter with dry yeast??? You will go to beer hell for that.
Jun 3rd, 2012
1:01 pm
Well perhaps I will be forced to drink Magnum and Steel Reserve while I am there.
Jun 3rd, 2012
1:04 pm
I always make starters with dry yeast.

Not making starters with dry yeast, because it hurts the yeast is just another great brewing myth, IMO.
Jun 3rd, 2012
1:12 pm
I Think it may disrupt at best...not rehydrating dry yeast before pitching. Starters are more or less just a safety to assure enough active yeast cells and proper development.
Author: Mark_Hardner
Jun 3rd, 2012
2:16 pm
Thank you all for your input.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.