Home » Forum » score! Register | Login
Subject: score!
Author: dnfd737
May 30th, 2012
1:29 pm
I just got a free refractometer.........big question how do I use it for brewing?
Subject: Re: score!
Author: BryansBrew
May 30th, 2012
1:40 pm
do you have promash or beersmith? they have refractometer utils. There's also smartphone brewing apps that have it (like brewzor).

basically it's converting brix to SG
Author: dnfd737
May 30th, 2012
2:24 pm
I have beersmith1 I did not think to look there.
Author: brewboy_BB
May 30th, 2012
2:30 pm
You really don't need those. If it's got ATC, just apply a drop of unfermented wort (hot or cold) on the lens and quickly close the cover. Wait about 15 seconds and read by pointing it at a light source. The brix reading is ABOUT 1/4 of the gravity, IE a brix of 15 is about 1.060. The above mentioned calculators will get you closer.

To calibrate it, put a drop of distilled water on the lens and using a screwdriver, adjust for 0.
Author: DarthRaider
May 30th, 2012
2:35 pm
If you have an Android platform smartphone, search for the Brewzor Calculator app, good stuff and very user friendly, is free and has alot more features than I use.
Author: CharlieHorse
May 30th, 2012
2:51 pm
Gee, I have one from when I was doing marine aquariums (that was an abismal failure and you can't drink it). I've never thought about using it.
Author: DConn
May 30th, 2012
3:37 pm
Also, be aware that using it after the beer has been fermenting requires a correction for the alcohol in the beer. The most accurate spreadsheet for correcting is http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/ .
Author: brewboy_BB
May 30th, 2012
3:44 pm
Do yourself a favor and just use it with unfermented wort. The fact that you only need a drop of boiling wort is, in and of itself, a worthwhile feature.
Author: DConn
May 30th, 2012
3:47 pm
Good recommendation. Although I don't use mine any more even pre fermentation. It went crazy and just won't calibrate correctly. Using a metal cocktail shaker and a bowl of ice water I can cool a boiling sample down to 60F in less than a minute, so I do that and use my hydrometer.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.