Home » Forum » Starter? Register | Login
Subject: Starter?
Author: Liquidplacebo
May 16th, 2012
10:53 pm
Most of the yeast foamed out of the tube when I opened it. So I pitched into my starter any way maybe got 10 to 20 % of the yeast into the starter should I still use it?
Subject: Re: Starter?
Author: Rex_Irae
May 16th, 2012
11:37 pm
Yes.
Author: brewboy_BB
May 16th, 2012
11:46 pm
That's exactly why I don't like White Labs and avoid their yeast whenever possible.
Author: PaulD70
May 17th, 2012
12:43 am
If you really lost that much yeast, you may find that your starter takes longer than normal to finish. If it takes more than a 24 to 36 hours, you might consider chilling it to settle the yeast out. You can then see how much you have and decide if you want to pitch that into another starter to continue the propagation.
Author: Liquidplacebo
May 17th, 2012
1:22 am
At least its on a stir plate and its belgian yeast.
Author: brewboy_BB
May 17th, 2012
2:48 am
You can build from a single colony on a stir plate. Assuming there was no contamination, you'll be fine.
Author: MMMBREW
May 17th, 2012
4:16 pm
Yes, the foaming yeast can be an issue. I shake my vial to mix in the yeast witht the liquid, then let it sit for while. If you slowly open it, it shouldn't be a problem. It takes more patience than using Wyeast packs, but not really that much more.
Author: BryansBrew
May 17th, 2012
7:04 pm
I rarely use whitelabs (though I bought 3 yesterday because that's what they had) but I haven't had any foaming issues. I shake mine up before, too.
Author: Rex_Irae
May 17th, 2012
10:26 pm
I think having it plenty cold is a good precaution against it foaming up.
I've never had that issue.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.