Home » Forum » Chocolate extract in chocolate stout? Register | Login
Subject: Chocolate extract in chocolate stout?
Author: TheBeaverBarber
Jan 28th, 2012
12:56 am
I just brewed a stout and I was going to add 2 oz of chocolate extract prior to bottling. Has anyone ever done this? Does it have a flavor impact, or is it just for aroma? Should I also add unsweetened cocoa? Should I also add vanilla extract? I've made several terrible chocolate stouts. Has anyone ever made a good chocolate stout? I'm open to suggestions.
Subject: Re: Chocolate extract in chocolate stout?
Author: dnfd737
Jan 28th, 2012
1:59 am
do you do all grain? Extracts at bottling IMO are not such a good thing they tend to be over powering. Look at my imperial milk stout thread it is very chocolatly, and sweet.
Author: redbrew
Jan 28th, 2012
9:51 am
If it was me I would use cocoa nibs in the secondary. Vanilla beans split down the middle and added to secondary would be my preferred method for that particular ingredient.
Author: EricHa
Jan 28th, 2012
5:48 pm
also the coffee flavorig you buy for coffee works well too and its a higher quality than that shit the HB shops sell... if you go extract route, proceed very carefully on how much you add, it can overpower quickly.
Author: TheBeaverBarber
Jan 29th, 2012
5:40 pm
Thanks for the help guys. There's not a lot of information out there about how adding chocolate extract affects the chocolate flavor in a homebrew. I notice that Rogue uses chocolate extract in their chocolate stout and I really like that one. Also, my favorite pumpkin ale is Shipyard pumpkin ale and they use pumpkin extract in that one. Hopefully, this works and I'll report back with my findings.
Author: EricHa
Jan 29th, 2012
8:51 pm
just look for high quality extracts, there are several places on the net... I've posted the links in other threads... do a search on extracts.
Author: JimRod
Jan 30th, 2012
8:21 am
The cherry flavoring in Red Stag whiskey made by Jim Beam works great to get that cherry flavoring with the added benefit of a little whiskey kick. Try it in your next porter. 10 oz per 5 gal.
Author: BryansBrew
Jan 30th, 2012
1:14 pm
I used an alcohol based chocolate extract once. It was "okay" but nothing special.

Having just won my club's comp with a chocolate stout (yep, bragging a bit here).. I can say I used 1oz of hershey's chocolate powder in the boil, and then 4oz of cocoa nibs + 1 vanilla bean in secondary. I boiled enough water to cover the nibs, took it off the burner, and added the nibs- then after a few minutes, added them to my fermenter.

My club is mainly hopheads and there were about 4 IPAs entered and mine still won. Apparently, I did something right!
Author: stevenkimbell
Apr 22nd, 2016
12:46 pm
New member, bumping this old thread to get some updated information.
I am working on a homebrew recipe for something between a Shake and Sweet Baby Jesus. I want the chocolate, but dont really need the peanut butter. There is a post for the original recipe of SBJ at http://frothus.blogspot.com/2013/05/d-uclaw-brewery-local-maryland-brewery.html . Looking to convert this to an extract w/o the PB.

I have tried the cocoa nibs at varying levels in Porters and Stouts - nothing gives that milk shake like aroma of Shake, nor do I get the robust, sweetness of SBJ. I am bashing a kit today from the original, and will be adding chocolate extract at bottling along with some vanilla beans steeped in vodka. Looking at 4oz extract and 5 beans, cut and soaked for 24 hours (go big or go home!).

Anyone else tried anything along this line?

Author: spargebag
May 1st, 2016
7:43 pm
I haven't tried that method but can say I've gotten the milkshake notes with 140 crystal. Maybe add a little lactose to taste as well.
Author: spargebag
Jun 1st, 2016
1:26 pm
Tried a sweet baby Jesus last nite and it was the godawfulest beer I've ever had... like someone dumped a cream stout into a wendys frosty but to each their own...that said I read the bottle and saw that in addition to peanut butter and chocolate it has artificial flavors. This may be where the milkshake flavors come from...may be difficult to clone w natural ingredients.
Author: stevenkimbell
Jun 1st, 2016
3:09 pm
Interesting. I had not heard about any artificial ingredients in SBJ. I have only had it on draft, so I have not seen an ingredient list myself. My own brew has had to sit in secondary for a while - work has kept me away from bottling. However, I will be bottling this weekend and will probably test a bit of it within 10 days.
Updates to follow.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.